HD555 or HD580
Dec 12, 2005 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

chabs39

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am considering getting either the hd555 or the hd580, I don't know which would be better for my circumstances and was hoping someone could tell me. I am only going to be listening to them on my computer for the most part, I need them because my roommate goes to bed early and I can't use my speakers then. I will be doing a lot of music listening(mostly rock) with them, but also some gaming, and once in a while a movie or something. I dont really have the money for an amp unless a decent one can be had for <100 dollars preferably more towards the 50 dollar range, its my first year in college and I don't really have money to waste. I can get them both for basically the same amount of money, but I was wondering, without an amp which would be better, the soundcard I am going to be using them with is an audigy 2 zs. I also have some Logitech z-5500 speakers hooked up to that soundcard and they have their own headphone output jack, I don't know if that would be better to use, if it would act like an amp or not.

Dec 12, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 10
From what I have read the HD 580's are of higher quality, but I think the HD 555s would fit the bill quite a bit better for rock and the likes. If you went the route of HD 580's you'd be looking at spending nearly $200+ on the cans and an amp for them as they really need an amp to reach their potential. Without an amp the HD 555s would be better. I can direct you to someone who can build you a cMoy for $45.

Dec 12, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 10
HD555 would drive better off your ZS, HD580 would be better in sound quality and some people use them directly to the soundcard too.

Also, these two headphones leaks sound and how close are you gonna be from your roommate?? he may still be distracted...

I think closed cans like the Audio-Technicas that dont leak sound, drives much better without an amp, and are preferred for gaming would be PERFECT for you.

Dec 12, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 10
The Audio Technicas seem pretty nice, and I've done some more reading on open air headphones and they would probably bother my roommate. I was wondering whether I should get the a500 or the a700 since there doesnt seem to be much difference pricewise. The a700's seem to be the nicer of the two, is there something here that I am missing.

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 10
I just got to try one of my friends grado sr60's, which are open phones, and they weren't very loud and my roommate wasnt bothered at all by them. So now I am leaning back towards the sennheiser ones, or do you think I should still stick with the audio technica ones. I'm thinking about building my own cmoy amp, too, and was wondering if this would power the hd580.

Dec 13, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 10
I wouldn't see a problem driving HD580s off a decent Cmoy - they neither require an outright enormous voltage swing nor insane amounts of current. Given that, it boils down to whether their sonic signature is to your taste - HD580s are good cans, but they're not exactly ideal for rocking out. You might well like the '555 better for this. (These have somewhat different amp requirements - voltage swing needs to be less large, but the opamp should be able to dish out a decent amount of current into a low-impedance load. I'd also consider going to a buffered amp concept à la apheared-47 then.)

Dec 13, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 10
first of all, they both require an amp to shine. My friend who had tried both without an amp picked the 555. Depending on how much they cost you, if the 555 is fairly cheaper than the 580 I'd get the 555. if later you wanted something that sounds like the 580, you could always pick up the 600/650 along the road. they have different presentation, it really boils down to each individual's preference. try to give them a demo if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back