HD555 Mod plans
Feb 15, 2009 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

I34z1k

New Head-Fier
Hey guys

I am really tired of using a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter on my 555s so I wanted to change the jack. But now I'm tempted to replace the whole cable. I don't want to go over the top as it's not a super serious set of headphones. Would it be worthwhile changing the cable? Any other mods related to this?

Secondly, I am sick of other people listening to my music so I was thinking of adding some dynamat behind the drivers. Would this have a detrimental effect on my sound?

Thanks
Mike

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't think you can close open headphones
wink.gif
Would definatly not have a good effect on SQ.

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 7
Closing the HD555 is just dumb. I know it because I tried it.
It really gives you a closed-in feeling, seriously destroying the soundstage, acoustics and the nice, laidback feel the HD555 has.

And as far as recabling goes, I think it's futile, since you'll solder one side directly onto the drivers, but the otherside still has to pass over the headband, and that's done by some low-end copper cable, and thus nullifing the "upgrade" you intended with your cable upgrade.

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Ok cool. Get that about the open closed thing, and i suppose if i can't improve them, i won't bother changing cables so I'll just pop a different jack on. Thanks for the quick responses guys

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Yeah, a Switchcraft or Neutrik plug will do the trick!
Personally, I take Switchcraft over Neutrik anyday, since they're more reliable, tougher and better looking.
Use some heatshrink to seal the deal (seal the gap between cable and cable-entry in the plug
wink.gif
) and you're all set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back