HD515 good enough for a non-audiophile?
Dec 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

riker1384

100+ Head-Fier
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of NIB HD515 at a good price. I was thinking of getting them for a friend of mine who isn't an audiophile, who has an apartment where he can't crank up music all the time. I've heard the HD555 before, but not the 515. Is it respectable? I'm wondering whether I should go with that or step up to the 555 or 558, but that will cost much more.

He has Etymotic Er6i's for portable use. How will the HD515 compare with those?

Also, are they as comfortable as the 555? They look like they have the same frame and pads.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 3
If it's a non-audiophile, maybe those $10 headphones from Best Buy will do? What is a good price btw?

Seriously though, if he's not an audiophile, and you'll be giving away them as a present - by all means, go for them. If you want more bang for your buck, take a look at Superlux stuff. Really cheap, and supposedly pretty good. I haven't heard them, so I can't say for sure, but people seem to like them.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 3
$40.

Also there's a local ATH-M50 for $80, but he has closed in-ears already, so I thought it might be better to get open phones so he doesn't have to be deaf when he's watching a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back