hd485 mod?
Jan 11, 2006 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CLum

100+ Head-Fier
After reading the mesh mod of the grados i was wondering if anybody with hd485 have tried removing the foam fabric material on the outside of the drivers. It seems that this material is dampening the leakage of the headphones making it less open. For the grados this mod seems to make the treble clearer so i was wondering if this mod to the hd485 would make the phones a little more detailed. Anyone try this yet?

Jan 11, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 5
O wow, this seems like a good idea.... BUT since I did kill my ksc-75's which are way cheaper.. and I feel bad... I dont know If I am the right person to do this lol... but yah... replacing them with some real grills might be nice.. someone do this and show some pics and I might do it!
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 5
well, I just went ahead and did it... and I listened to Madonna's new album.. confession on a dancefloor... ripped FLAC.... and WOWZA!!! I listened to "How High" and I defintely notice an improvement in treble... and her bad recording... but it's not as bad... it doesn't "Echo" as much as before.... thus making it sound more natural and detailed...... very decent mod... But there goes the waranty
icon10.gif
I'll post pictures when I can. but they look like the HD600's and HD650's style now...

one other thing i am not sure it's placebo or not.. but the bass seems to tighten up a tiny bit... specially in Linkin Park Reanimation "My December" Damn too bad I can't A/B it hehe. hmmmmm now maybe I can use something to make these phones "Closed" hehe!

Jan 11, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 5
definitely post pics so I can see what you are talking about. would this mod apply to the hd555s? although I don't think it would be smart to do considering I just got them...

Jan 11, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 5
I dont think this would apply to the HD555's.. since those uses a real metal/alum grill.... and the HD485's uses a piece of cheap cloth.. and they were pretty thick too... the black covering on the outside and another white foam layer in the inside too..

but this mod makes them look like the HD580's ---> HD600's look... if you know what I mean... but without the grill which I might add later!! I mean this would make them pretty good looking!~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back