HD424 - nice vintage cans
Oct 8, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
the time when they'd already moved to 600 ohm (HD414X, HD424X)

My HD424X is still rated 2000 ohm...
blink.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
My HD424X is still rated 2000 ohm...
blink.gif

Hmm. Confirmed by measurement? Then I'm all
confused.gif
The '424X does use slightly different earcups from what I've seen, my '424 still has the older 414-type driver housings.

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Hmm. Confirmed by measurement? Then I'm all
confused.gif
The '424X does use slightly different earcups from what I've seen, my '424 still has the older 414-type driver housings.

The back of my cup is metal... don't know if it helps. Anyway on the package is written 2 kohm.

Andrew

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:21 AM Post #19 of 32
The first pair of 'Proper' headphones I ever bought were some HD424's in 1984, so they must have been made up to at least 22 years ago.

I don't remember any metal cups though, but it's been a long time!

SQ-wise I remember the quality being excellent, but as a 19-year old Heavy Metal fan I remember being disappointed they didn't go loud enough.

Now I am in my forties and wouldn't dream of playing music really loud through headphones, I suspect I would appreciate them a lot more.

I think I'll keep an eye out on eBay!

Simon

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #21 of 32
Sorry for the bump.. I have a HD 420 SL on my desk right now.. found it at work and askedif I could keep it. But the pads obviously need replacement. Which go on these? The HD 424 ones? The 414 ones?

May 28, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #22 of 32
I bought mine in the summer of 1976, and they were the best cans I'd used to date or have used since.  I was working in radio at the time, and the only problem I ever had was when someone would walk into the booth and I would instinctively turn my head while I was talking on the mic.  I just bought my 10th or 11th set of cushions for them.

May 1, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #23 of 32

I bought a pair of HD-424's back in 1974 and LOVED them.  Wore them out until they just fell apart from heavy use over many years.  Instead of repairing, I chucked 'em.  MISTAKE.   After the 424's I got hold of some AKG 240 Sextet phones and the better bass and indestructible nature made them great for studio work, so I moved on.   Later I got a pair of HD-420's but didn't like them as well. 

This year I've really been getting back into the headphone scene.  I've had the HD-595 for a few years and really like the wide soundstage and clarity, but started getting serious about eliminating background noise and improving the overall system capability.  While I was doing that kept wondering how my newer headphones would compare with those HD-424's.  So...........I just bought a pair off eB*y.  They were stated to be "as new", but there's always a risk there.  Hard to be as new if it was made in the early '70's!

When they showed up my jaw hit the floor.  They must have been in a case for............decades.  The earpads are obviously new, and the stock cable is in great shape too.  The sound:  perfect.

These still sound really good to me even when compared to my DT-880 PRO, AKG Studio and the HD-595.  Not as good as the newer phones I have, but still a very fine listening experience.  I've got them hanging in my listening area now along with the others and really enjoying this vintage set of phones.

Driving them with either my STR-V55 or the LD3 right now.  The LD3 has the 6ZH1P-EV Russian driver tubes in it, which sound very nice indeed.  My Pioneer receiver is in the shop getting a tune up and I'm anxious to try these out with this receiver too (SX-636).

As for any comments on the frequency responses at or above 10K hz, you guys obviously have better hearing than me, at this point!  Been in rock bands since the '60's and even though my ENT doc says my hearing is stellar (for my age.  LOL)  I still feel I've lost a little there, so any deficiency in the HD-424's may be masked by my own hearing.  However, I have to say I'm still recording and playing.  Maybe one day I'll learn how to play that darned thing.

Keep on listening!

Mark

May 1, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #25 of 32
Okay, just went back to the MKTRV6 archive and it looks like I have verification that I was using them in June 1975.  So, must've purchased them early '75 or late '74. 

Keep on rocking!

Mark

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #27 of 32

I was listening to my HD-424's last night through my Tandberg TD20A and Little Dot Mk III.  AWESOME.  I'm really glad to own the 424's again after so many years.  Even in the context of current gear, this headphone is no slouch and very enjoyable for extended listening sessions.  Classic Sennheiser sound!  Listening to Acoustic Alchemy's album Red Dust and Spanish Lace at 15 IPS was breathtakingly beautiful!

Wish I could try all the cutting edge headphone gear like Jude, but until the next local meet opportunity I'm certainly happy with my current set up and phones.

Keep on Listening!

Mark

Nov 28, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #28 of 32
I have an excellent pair of HD424s, gave them some new earpads. They're harder to drive than my Grado SR325iS, but their sound is great for jazz. I intend to put them on eBay soon, but I'm located in Amsterdam, so the shipping fee will be higher than if you buy a pair from a local seller.

Jun 24, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #30 of 32
Got me a set of these. Foam behind the driver disintegrated. Will add something similar. The internal coating on the wires of the cable have become intensely hardened to the point they are like percussive instrument when they hit something :joy:

I ordered some cheap protein leather earpads that go over the back of the cups instead of the foams as I rather hate on ear. These things are absolutely crazy lightweight. With some Meze pads just clamped between them and my head they sound pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back