HD380 Pro VS Momentums
Dec 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

emjayoh

New Head-Fier
Hello all, first post... happy to be here!

I am a software engineer and listen to headphones > 8 hours per day. I currently own HD595s and HD380pro, with a FiiO E17. I got the 595s first and typically use them for home listening and situations where leakage is not an issue. I fell in love with the Sennheiser sound signature and instantly knew that I would most likely never consider buying another brand (I tend to be very brand-loyal, especially with things I'm passionate about).

I found the HD380s at Best Buy for $99 and thought I could use some closed-ear phones for the office (coworkers had complained about my 595s -- haha). Did a minimal amount of research and figured for $99 I couldn't go wrong. I am very pleased with them, and I especially like the bass increase over the 595. However, the soundstage isn't quite as good... and there is just something about them that doesn't quite fulfill me like the 595s. I guess I feel like it just leaves something to be desired.

I have been looking at the Momentums for a while. I was actually going to get them over the 380s, but I really could not pass on the $99 sale at the time. I am now thinking that money should not matter as much when I'm going to be using the cans as much as I do... so it really got me thinking about shelling out the cash and just getting the better headphone.

That being said, I have not found any definitive comparisons between HD380s and Momentums. If I'm going to be spending $300 on a set I want to be sure that I'm not downgrading my performance in any way... 

I realize that they are made for different purposes, but I am not really understanding the differences ("studio" vs "audiophile"?) 

I've done a lot of research and all I can come up with is that they are both great closed-ear phones, and I'm sure they are... but does anyone have any greater insight into my specific situation? Do you think it would be worth getting the Momentums as my closed-ear cans even though I already have 380s? Should I go bigger and maybe get something that would blow doors off the 380s?

I stopped by Best Buy today and gave the Momentums a 30 minute listening session. It was kinda hard to tell in a store with non-lossless audio and no DAC, but they did sound amazing. I didn't have 380s to compare them with, but they did sound leaps and bounds better than the hd558s next to them. Seemingly perfect mids and highs, decent bass... maybe a tad bit too aggressive? 

Sorry for the long post, any opinions/input would be greatly appreciated :) I'm also open to other phones if anyone has any suggestions. Of course, I'd love to stick with Sennheiser as I trust their sound, but I realize there are other brands out there and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi

I realise that your original posting was a long while ago, but I was wondering if you did eventually make the switch from the HD380 Pro's to Momentums.

I am in a similar position, in that I have been using the HD380 Pro's in the office for a few years, as my Grado's are way too leaky for that kind of use.

What did you end up doing, if you don't mind me asking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back