HD280Pro...cracking :(
Dec 19, 2006 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

spiN

Head-Fier
I got my HD280Pros a while ago (a couple years ago or so) and they are finally starting to crack around where the screws are. I figure that I have some time before they are completely unwearable, but I would like to get some suggestions in advance.

First of all, is there a way to properly repair the headband? I'd love to keep these babys for as long as possible, but if they're going to break then it's no use prolonging the inevitable.

I've looked around before and some suggestions that I got the last time were for the Sony V6's, the A900's, and I think one other headphone that I can't remember. What I'm using them for is casual music listening off of my computer which has an Audigy 2ZS and some competitive gaming. I know it's not the greatest, but I'm a college student so give me a break. The music I'm listening to is ripped anywhere from 192k to 320k or FLAC or CD. My pricerange is around $100 and I'm specifically looking for closed circumaural headphones (supraaurals aren't out of the question as long as they're super comfy). I have a pair of open cans (HD570's, again not the greatest, but they're not bad). I would prefer that they would be easy to drive as I have no amp and no reason to get one as my source is not the greatest. The type of music I listen to ranges from rock to various types of metal (progressive, melodic death, thrash etc.) to techno/trance to classical. I enjoy my HD280pro's quite a bit, but I wouldn't mind trying something new. Thanks in advance.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 19
Not much you can do. Headband cracking is a design/material flaw and has happened to more than a few owners on the board. Call senn USA, to try and order replacement parts. They have pretty good customer parts support from what I understand. But that will only carry you over for a while, until they break again.

The A900 sells for $200 so its 2x your budget.
The V6 is a good candidate IMHO. might also want to consider a Grado SR60/80 or an MS1. All of which sound good unamped. I really enjoy my SR60 straight out of my laptop PC.

The HD280 has a... "unique" sound to it though. Theres no other sub $100 can that sounds quite like it.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 19
Duct Tape or Black Electrical Tape. The original plastic on both sides of my HD-280 are completely shattered, but a thorough wrapping with black duct tape keeps them perfectly stable and operational, and they don't look half bad.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duct Tape or Black Electrical Tape. The original plastic on both sides of my HD-280 are completely shattered, but a thorough wrapping with black duct tape keeps them perfectly stable and operational, and they don't look half bad.

Not like they looked that great to begin with
wink.gif

And for the OP, the A500 is much like the A900, but half the cost.

Dec 19, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 19
I've never heard the HD280 but I love my recently acquired Sony MDR-V6. With the highs EQed down a bit in foobar, and the stock pads replaced with the Beyer pads, these cans are heaven :)

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 19
I already have a pair of SR60s that I use with my ipod. Sounds like the V6's or A500/A700 might be the way to go. Any more info on how each of them fit and/or isolate?

BTW, it sounds like Kramer has some of my more preferred musical tastes at heart (DreamTheater, Liquid Tension)
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 19
Reportedly this has been fixed in the meantime, so a new headband should keep the '280 alive for a few years to come. Looks like the cans would have to be sent in for repair.

A900s are a good bit beyond $100, but if you're willing to invest this much, also look at the DT250 and perhaps a DT770.

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my HD280Pros a while ago (a couple years ago or so) and they are finally starting to crack around where the screws are. I figure that I have some time before they are completely unwearable, but I would like to get some suggestions in advance.

First of all, is there a way to properly repair the headband? I'd love to keep these babys for as long as possible, but if they're going to break then it's no use prolonging the inevitable.

I've looked around before and some suggestions that I got the last time were for the Sony V6's, the A900's, and I think one other headphone that I can't remember. What I'm using them for is casual music listening off of my computer which has an Audigy 2ZS and some competitive gaming. I know it's not the greatest, but I'm a college student so give me a break. The music I'm listening to is ripped anywhere from 192k to 320k or FLAC or CD. My pricerange is around $100 and I'm specifically looking for closed circumaural headphones (supraaurals aren't out of the question as long as they're super comfy). I have a pair of open cans (HD570's, again not the greatest, but they're not bad). I would prefer that they would be easy to drive as I have no amp and no reason to get one as my source is not the greatest. The type of music I listen to ranges from rock to various types of metal (progressive, melodic death, thrash etc.) to techno/trance to classical. I enjoy my HD280pro's quite a bit, but I wouldn't mind trying something new. Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the MDR-V6 would be perfect for you. It also happens to be built like a tank. I have 3 pairs and one of them is over 15 years old. It is beat up badly, but still works. It sounds good unamped, gives you highs and a deep and rumbling lows. Nothing compares to the V6. It is very unique at any price point.

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 19
Hmm, any ideas as to how much it would cost to send them into Sennheiser for repair? They don't seem to sell the replacement headband on their website.

I just found the V6's on etronics.com for about $70 shipped. At that price, they look sexy enough to buy regardless of whether I need a new pair or not.

Dec 19, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 19
I've had my Sennheiser HD280's for almost 4 years now. They've served me very well, but now I prefer the sound of my Grado SR80's. The headband started cracking on me after about two years, and now most of the lower portion of the band is completely gone (you can see the wiring). However, the whole thing is still structurally sound, it's not going to break anytime soon, and it still sounds as good as it originally did. I use them whenever I want a softer sound or my roommates are being too freakin loud. At first I was bothered by the seemingly self-destructive design, but now it doesn't bother me, because they still sound good and are comfortable to wear. Don't worry about the cracking, just be careful in handling. I can post of pics if you want to see.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 19
Well I suppose I could do some hardcore duct taping when it starts to need it, but it's still unsettling that they would just go and start doing that.

I think I would like to see some pics though mochzr.

Dec 19, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 19
Any other suggestions, opinions, or ideas?

Dec 20, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 19
I took a quick trip to Guitar Center on my lunch break today and was talking to a guy there about headphones. They happened to have the MDR-7506 and AKG 240 in stock. This dude told me that I could bring in some CDs and actually audition a few of the models they had in stock. He also said he had the 240 for $120-$130 (can't remember exactly what he said, I didn't have much time).

I'm definitely going to go back on my day off to do some auditioning. What do you guys think about the 240 and what are the main differences between the V6 and the 7506?

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 19
If you want to stabilize the plastic, rub silicon adhesive into the cracks, let dry 24 hours. You can get it in clear, black, white, and if you know where to look, silver and red. Chances are it'll be fine for ever. On the other hand, it is a design. problem with older hd280s. Senn USA might fix it for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back