HD280 vs Shure SH440 vs Sony MDR-V6 For rock music
Dec 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sbaker5

New Head-Fier
I mostly listen to rock music, do not own a AMP and need a pair of closed phones for noisy places,  I ride the bus home everyday, and the general screaming and yelling, is just at the tolerance level of my ears, add music to the mix and all I can feel is pain, so I was hoping to get some closed phones.

I narrowed it down to these 3 but Ive heard some people say they were kinda nutral, and for studio use, which makes me wonder if they would sound very good with rock music, I own the AKG K240, and they sometimes sound a bit muted unless turned up.

Also I really cannot afford a amp, I enjoy music, but spending hundreds on a amp, just too much.

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 9
The k240's ARE a bit muted, especially out of a portable player. You might find the v6 a lot more 'fun' sounding....but they're a little too bright and harsh for my taste. I DID like them a lot though for rock, until I heard more neutral headphones. It's really a personal thing what kind of sound signature you like. Getting advice on the forum is kind of like letting someone else choose your wardrobe for you. Everyone has different taste so what one forum member thinks is great, you might think is horrible. Never heard them myself, but the shure may be a safer bet, since it's probably somewhere in the middle between the sony and the k240. Supposed to be very neutral which means you hear the music as it was intended....nothing added or taken away. The reviewers in Sound on Sounded rated them one of the best 'neutral' phones for studio use, which is the sound signature I prefer. Other people like more 'colored' phones.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 9
Have you considered IEMs? Don't know about the other headphones you mentioned, but based off my experience with SRH440's, they don't isolate well enough to sound good in noisy environments. Even in a regular car with the radio off and no one talking and a bass boost on, all the lower registers are completely drowned out and the sound is thin, unless you want to turn up the volume really loud and potentially damage your hearing. I can only imagine how much worse a bus full of yelling and talking people would be.

Dec 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 9
You can't go wrong with the V6. It is one of the most neutral headphones available. It is extremely durable. My V6 is 23 years old and still works fine, although I did need to change the earpads on it. I don't find the V6 to be too bright or to be at all harsh. The only headphone I have ever heard truly harsh treble on was the Grado SR60. The V6 isn't overly bright, it just has the natural amount of treble that many other headphones are lacking. If you look at the frequency response chart for the V6 you will see that it is very flat.
Some people may claim the V6 isn't exciting since it doesn't have the boosted bass of headphones like the Sony XB500 or XB700.
The V6(in its 7506 model)) is one of the most widely used headphones in recording, radio stations, and tv and movie production.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
You can't go wrong with the V6. It is one of the most neutral headphones available. It is extremely durable. My V6 is 23 years old and still works fine, although I did need to change the earpads on it. I don't find the V6 to be too bright or to be at all harsh. The only headphone I have ever heard truly harsh treble on was the Grado SR60. The V6 isn't overly bright, it just has the natural amount of treble that many other headphones are lacking. If you look at the frequency response chart for the V6 you will see that it is very flat.
Some people may claim the V6 isn't exciting since it doesn't have the boosted bass of headphones like the Sony XB500 or XB700.
The V6(in its 7506 model)) is one of the most widely used headphones in recording, radio stations, and tv and movie production.

Well you'll get a whole lot of folks who disagree with those statements. One forum member claimed that it's the only phone that makes his ears bleed....and on some material I have to agree. I have the k240DF which is considered by a lot of folks to be one of the most neutral/flat headphones ever made and I have to cut 4dB at around 4khz on the v6 to make it sound as flat as the 240DF. It's way more harsh than the hd580 and the k240S too....both of which are supposed to be relatively 'neutral'. There must be a lot of variation in production runs or something, because mine is anything but flat, compared to some other 'neutral' phones. It sounds NOTHING like the k240S that the OP has, that's for certain. They're polar opposites. YMMV of course. 'One man's meat is another man's poison.'

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 9
So, if I wanted something with a little more edge for rock the v6 would be the best bet? I kinda like to hear the scream from electric guitars. On some phones it sounds muted.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
So, if I wanted something with a little more edge for rock the v6 would be the best bet? I kinda like to hear the scream from electric guitars. On some phones it sounds muted.

Yep, that upper mids peak makes electric guitars stand out for sure. Good punchy bass too. They're good for rock if you don't mind the 'edge'. The k240's have a much softer, laid back feel....but they're better for vocals, and acoustic music,imo with a better sound stage.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Yep, that upper mids peak makes electric guitars stand out for sure. Good punchy bass too. They're good for rock if you don't mind the 'edge'. The k240's have a much softer, laid back feel....but they're better for vocals, and acoustic music,imo with a better sound stage.

Definately amazing vocals, just a little disapointing for rock sadly, if I get the V6 ill have one for both it sounds like.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:

Definately amazing vocals, just a little disapointing for rock sadly, if I get the V6 ill have one for both it sounds like.

I was OK with the v6 until one day, I picked up a copy of the Beatles Rubber Soul. Then I was like, "This music can't possibly have been mixed to sound this bright!" Those treble heavy guitars were killing my ears. To my ears, they really *are* like the polar opposite to the k240. I'm probably in the minority, because lots of folks swear by the v6. For a few bucks more you could get the 7506. Some folks claim to hear differences between the those and the v6....others claim they're virtually identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back