HD280 Bass
Apr 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ambiverse

New Head-Fier
I have been reading here that the HD280 does not have bass, which is very confusing. I had Klipsh Image s4i's before I got these, which were supposed to have a "lot of bass" but the bass was extremely quiet and only noticeable at very loud volumes with bass booster on. About the amount of bass when the HD280's are on a flat eq setting. But when the HD280's are bass boosted as well, the bass is very present and powerful. The kicks really kick and subbass can be heard as clearly as on my 250$ 12 inch subwoofer. So what is with everyone saying that they have like no bass? Whoever has these cans and thinks that, open itunes, press ctrl+shift+2, apply the bass booster eq preset, and listen. I am trying to "learn" audio, and this is really confusing me, that I hear so much bass in these cans, but others say they have no bass.

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 5
First, by the HD280 you mean the Pro right?

Second, if you look at the frequency response there is obvious good bass extension.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=533&scale=30

If the HD280 Pro is not sealed well it can sometimes sound bass light, but this is to no fault of the headphones.

Could you post links to where you have read that the HD280 Pro is bass light?

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Actually the HD280 bass is exactly how it appears on this raw FR graph from headroom:

=533&scale=10]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=-2&graphID[]=533&scale=10

The MID-bass is sucked out a bit ~5 dB, but the SUB-bass is very present, and is a little boosted. If you play some electronic music with heavy bass like hardstyle for example you'll see what I mean. You might think they are bass-light but in reality it's only the mid-bass that's lacking a bit.

I own a pair and that's exactly how they sound. They are very "dead" sounding and quite flat, but the HF extension suffers a little. A really good pair for tracking and hearing a nice flat midrange though.

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 5
  Could you post links to where you have read that the HD280 Pro is bass light?

I'm too lazy to screenshot every comment, but on the newegg.com and other sites reviews I see a lot of comments saying "no bass," and if you just search HD280 on this forum and look at the first few results it seems to be the general opinion.

I own a pair and that's exactly how they sound. They are very "dead" sounding and quite flat, but the HF extension suffers a little. A really good pair for tracking and hearing a nice flat midrange though.

I agree, they sound a little closed and dead, guess that is how they have to be for monitoring, wish they were better for listening though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back