HD25SP vs HD595 vs HD280pro ! which should i choose?
Dec 6, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundmachine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok thanks dave , im just really unsure on what to get , have the HD 595's got soundstage??

Yep, the 595s have a soundstage....more slight then some headphones, but very good in my book (my perception is that it's like a recording studio sized soundstage). Actually, looking at frequency graph of the HD595 and DT770, you'll see that the 595 has a more consistant Frequency response. The DT770 is bloated in the bass and certain treble regions. So that's the main reason why it gets percieved as being bass bloated/ really bright. Depends on what you're looking for.....but as you can see with the 595, it doesn't lack bass (it's actually pretty consistant in all regions....better then a lot of Beyers and Grados). But if you are mainly looking for bass, then the DT770 certainly will fill that bill.

graphCompare.php

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

ok thanks dave , im just really unsure on what to get , have the HD 595's got soundstage??

Yes, they do. It's a soundstage with it's own character, you will either like it or you won't. As to the bass issue, I find if they are driven properly with a good amp the bass is fine. It's not really powerful and it's not so deep it amazes you but I don't really feel it's lacking either. Without an amp, the bass is more muddy and weaker and the headphones generally sound less alive. In my opinion the HD595 really needs a good amp to shine. I don't mean a great and expensive amp, just a good one.

I haven't heard the DT770 so can't comment on them in comparison to the HD595 although I do suspect I'd like them.

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #18 of 29
thanks guys , i guess the only way to find out what is going to suit me the most is if i try them out , or maybe talk a pro and see if they can select a obvious pair thats fits my needs the most.

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 29
DT880s most definitely don't have the bass you're looking for.

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #21 of 29
I'm not a big IEM fan, so I was looking for a good sealed can to follow me on my travels. I went with the HD 280 Pro because it 1) sounds great, it's extremely neutral (if you like that sound), 2) it isolated extremely well, 3) it's almost as comfortable as the "big boys" in the Sennheiser lineup, which is crucial for long-hauls, 4) you can easily get a pair for under $100, and 5) they're easy to drive with any amp.

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

would the HD280pros have the bass and clear sound that im looking for ?

Looks like the HD280s have the most rolled off bass of the Senns. I still think you should be considering the 595s for Senns (because of it's balance), or DT770 if you want the bass

graphCompare.php

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #24 of 29
thanks Dave , so i need some questions answered about the 595's

1. if i turn them up loud , are they lively cans that will make me feel like im at a concert?

2. are they the best headphones for the price range?

3. have they got really clear sound, but will produce the bass when bassy songs are listened to ?

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

thanks Dave , so i need some questions answered about the 595's

1. if i turn them up loud , are they lively cans that will make me feel like im at a concert?

the 595s are very easy to drive, so they can be driven loud.....having a soundstage makes them slightly concert like. As for lively, it depends on your definition. I think it's one of the best balanced headphones in its price range. So I think it's really good at sound reproduction. Because it's not necessarily colored, some find it more on the dull side.

Quote:

2. are they the best headphones for the price range?

Well that's very subjective.....but I think they're a great value. The build quality is top notch, plus it even comes with a headphone holder! SQ is good, but others favor other cans for their various sound signatures.

Quote:

3. have they got really clear sound, but will produce the bass when bassy songs are listened to ?

yep, I think the various frequency graphs show that it's pretty well balanced. It's not bassy like the DT770 .....but it has bass that you'll hear when the songs bring out da bass. So this gets to what your preferences might be. You may find the DT770s more lively, or you may find them more fatiguing because of those recessed mids (I know one of the reasons why I like the HD595s for rock is because they are pretty dynamic).

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #26 of 29
thanks very much for all this information Dave , just one more thing ,

because the headphones are open , does that mean , say if i crank up the volume which i will be doing alot , will everybody be able to hear clearly what im listening to ?

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #27 of 29
Most audiophile headphones are open.....so yes, if you do some serious cranking, then those around you will hear and judge your music selection!!! I work from home now, but when I was in an office environment, I had my HD580s, and a coworker who shared a cubicle with me. He didn't seem too distracted by my music, and I didn't try to listen too loud. The 595s and Beyers aren't as open as some other headphones (I'm finding my HD650s to be very open, and Grados are notorious for it).

Only cans that I know of that are closed are some DJ headphones and Audio Technicas.

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #28 of 29
thanks man! , will the HD 595's suit me the best listening to Dance and Techno music?

i think the open headphones will turn me to the HD280pro DJ style headphones , as they are closed , or is theere a headphone similar performance to the HD595s that are closed?

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #29 of 29
from my exeperience

280pro - least bass impact of the three, extends very deeply. clean and neutral sound but experiences extreme distortion when volume turned up and not very loudly at that. good isolation, and quite comfortable. one of the biggest headphone disappointments ive ever experienced.

595 - cans need to be turned up loudly for bass impact and for best results genrally with electronica, otherwise they sound a little thin and lifeless. great for live sets becuase of the open nature of the cans. bass is pretty much distortion free but needs to be turned up to hear it. very clear and natural sound and very comfortable. nice cans.

25sp - very dark sounding. average bass impact and extension, distortion at louder volumes in between the others. muddy sounding can in general, not very enjoyable.

my suggestion is saving some cash, and either getting new or used HD25-1. loudest most impactful and distortion free bass in the sennheiser lineup
by a long way. sound signature is like a V shape and is perfect for electronica.
crystal clear hi hats, squeeks and bleeps, and very hard hitting bass.
good isolation, very comfortable and can run off portables easily.
my can of choice, period.

if ur looking for an alternative in the sony line-up, try the mdr-v700dj. absolute bass monsters. also crystal clear at loud volumes and completely distortion free. i found them to be unbeleivable with electronica. very uncomfortable, and very prone to breaking at the swivel hinges. i much prefer the sound signature of the HD25-1 but these are pretty good for what ur looking for, aside from the durability issue.
sony mdr-v7506 has a nice sound with heavyish bass that extends quite deeply but tends to distort at higher volume and isnt particularly loud comparing to HD25-1 and 700DJ.
other high end DJ cans are also an option to u, ive tried them all at one stage or another and they all deliver more or less distortion free hard hitting bass. (all except technics - very boomy bass but not distortion free at higher volumes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back