HD25: wiring question re headphone plug
Jul 20, 2005 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pablor

New Head-Fier
Hi there

I recently bought an OFC replacement cable for my HD25. It's a 3 metre cable so I'm going to shorten it and solder on a mini plug.

I just wanted to check I've understood the colour coding correctly, as the colours were different on the original cable.

So, one sleeve contains a red and a green wire. The other contains an uncoloured copper wire and a green wire.

My understanding is that the the red is right, the uncoloured copper is left, and the two greens are ground. Am I right about this?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

//Pablor

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 7
Cut the old plug off, leaving some wire attached to the old plug.
Strip the wire to identify the colors.
Strip the ends of each colored wire.
Continuity test each colored wire with a multimeter to find if it is left, right, or ground at the old plug.
Wire your new plug in the same way.
Can't miss.

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 7
On that particular cable, the greens are ground, the reddish is right and the copper is left. All will be coated with enamel, which will need to be removed before soldering.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #5 of 7
Great stuff - thanks for this guys.

Xanadu777, very glad you pointed that out about the enamel. Is that what the colouring is, and do I just scrape it off?

//P

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pablor
Great stuff - thanks for this guys.

Xanadu777, very glad you pointed that out about the enamel. Is that what the colouring is, and do I just scrape it off?

//P

Yes you just scrape it off with a knife until there is no more color there (so its only copper showing). Even the copper color one is coated with clean enamel so u will want to scrape that one off also.

-Alex-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back