HD25/ DT1350: Environment Noise
Nov 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AK59

New Head-Fier
Hi- I have been meaning to buy a closed portable headphone for some time now. Was looking at HD25 and DT1350, but noticed that the audio output is audible outside the headphone. So on a flight, if i am listening to these, the person sitting next to me would surely be able to hear what I am listening to. Is this expected? Is there a portable headphone where the sound remains inside, so that those around me are not disturbed?

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hi- I have been meaning to buy a closed portable headphone for some time now. Was looking at HD25 and DT1350, but noticed that the audio output is audible outside the headphone. So on a flight, if i am listening to these, the person sitting next to me would surely be able to hear what I am listening to. Is this expected? Is there a portable headphone where the sound remains inside, so that those around me are not disturbed?

That's... a very peculiar thing to notice. For my DT1350's, there has been no leakage whatsoever (and the sound isolation is top notch as well), I'd imagine it'd be very similar for the HD-25's as well. I can assure you that, at least with the DT1350's, the person sitting next to you will not be able to hear what you are listening to.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 7
With the already ambient noise on an airplane it would be virtually impossible to disturb the person next to you with the DT1350 unless:

1) You don't get a good seal. I find with the DT1350 I have to really work them around on my ear to get the best seal. You know when you have a good seal, when the bass gets fuller. They sound a bit thin with a bad seal.

2) You listen to your music at dangerously high volume.

I would try them again paying particular attention to the seal you get. I personally could not wear either model on a long flight. The comfort factor would get to my after a couple of hours. I prefer over ear by far for longer use.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 7
All equally futile in the face of a good and proper seal from the HD-25's or the DT1350's. I've never had anyone able to hear any sort of leakage whatsoever from my DT1350's, so perhaps be sure to check that you're getting a good seal on your head. These being closed cans have the advantage of blocking out the most sound and preventing the most leakage (versus semi open cans and open cans). Unless you're blasting them at full volume + then some, then that's the only real way I can see leakage being an issue (at which case though, the bigger issue is listening to induce hearing loss)

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 7
I own HD25s and have had the DTs. As long as you have a good seal on both (DTs takes slightly more effort to attain a seal) and you're not listening to your music and very high/dangerous levels, then there should be no leakage or at least very very little to none. 

My $0.02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back