hd25 an upgrade to Westone 3?
Jul 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
Don't know if you are still interested, but I will throw in my opinion.
I had the UM 2s, the original non detachable cable ones. Got the hd25s because I kept getting interrupted at work... Was spending all my time taking them off and back on, rather than listening to music.
Sound-wise, after the senns, couldn't go back to the Westones... The senns are much more fun... I would say the Westones "became" too laid back for me. Having said that, I don't have the same issue at work, and after two years want to get back to iems due to the weight in my bag... But can't stand the lack of liveliness of the um2s. If you prefer a more lively, puncher sound, do try the senns... More comfortable to take on and off, but bulkier.
Now I want iems that sound like the senns... Can anyone make a recommendation?

appreciate it! i think i might try out the hd25.

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #17 of 22
I own the W3 and the IE80 and there is no comparison in my opinion. The W3 is a disappointment compared to the HD25, and while the IE80 is better in many ways (more coherent, bass, soundstage), it simply doesn't have the bass slam and depth of the HD25 (IE80 on max bass setting). IMO, attributable to the limitations of all IEMs.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
I own the W3 and the IE80 and there is no comparison in my opinion. The W3 is a disappointment compared to the HD25, and while the IE80 is better in many ways (more coherent, bass, soundstage), it simply doesn't have the bass slam and depth of the HD25 (IE80 on max bass setting). IMO, attributable to the limitations of all IEMs.

Thanks, the more i read the more i'm considering picking up a pair of HD25s.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 22
To give a counterpoint, I thought the 4R's were better than the HD-25's in just about every category (save for comfort if you're not a tips guy.)  The cheapest headphones that I would say outperform them are the HD600 with decent amplification.  I haven't come across a mid-fi closed headphone yet that would give the 4R a run for it's money, although I have a Paradox on order.

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #20 of 22
What? So the W3 s aren't flat out better than the hd 25s?

I've been using the hd25s as my portable phone for close to a year now. I was thinking of making a return to IEMs. (GR-07 maybe)

I was honestly thinking IEMs at the same retail price point ( $160 - $200 ) would be better. I thought W3 would be way better 
blink.gif
 If I'm not mistaken they have somewhat similar sound signatures right? Emphasized bass and treble? 

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #21 of 22
I own both the W3 and HD25-1 and find the W3 way more comfortable (no cauliflower ear from the clamping force), more musical, more smile-inducing, and surprisingly more spacious in soundstage

The HD25-1 has been a disappointment to me. In particular, after Jude's excellent YouTube review of the Fostex HP-P1 I had expected the HD25-1 to become my go-to portable phones, but I've found the pairing to be subpar, with the sound very cramped and just drowning in bass. Yesterday I received the AKG K550 and can already tell these will be a superior closed back portable option, despite their larger size, longer cord, etc. The W3 will continue to be my airplane travel companion!

I'm actually thinking of selling the HD25-1 although they remain a good option for unamped sources, such as music or movies on an iPad

Just my two cents ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back