hd25-1 question
Jul 1, 2011 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xallarap

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got a hd25-1. I know that it does not benefit much from an amp but I've had offers for PA2V2(less than $60)
and AMB Mini3($70). I am wondering how my headphones will pair with both amps. I am currently using an  iPod 4th gen. Thanks!

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 14
Bump for today. thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 14
Any amp will do, I suppose, but the best amp you can afford will give HD25's sound more body, weight, and punch as well as make it smoother, cleaner, and more controlled, especially if you get a really good amp.

Think you can shoot for a P4/D12 or UHA4/6? 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 14
Maybe it is to mention that you should use the Line Out of your iPod connected to an amp to make improvements..

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Maybe it is to mention that you should use the Line Out of your iPod connected to an amp to make improvements..

I am aware of it sir but I haven't purchased one. Still no amp. :p Anyway, thanks for the tip sir. :) 

Quote:
Any amp will do, I suppose, but the best amp you can afford will give HD25's sound more body, weight, and punch as well as make it smoother, cleaner, and more controlled, especially if you get a really good amp.

Think you can shoot for a P4/D12 or UHA4/6? 
evil_smiley.gif

Will try sir. I was looking at them before the mini^3 but given the budget limitations, I skipped them for now.  Plus, I might have problems with that is how to ship either of them to the Philippines.

BTW, any impressions on how those amps pair with the HD25? What improvements and refinements do they bring? Sorry noob. :p

I am in no rush to buy. The sound of my HD25 is sufficient. I am just looking for advice on how to maximize my headphone. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
 Anyone else with experience with amping the HD25? Suggestions please. Thanks! :)

I can´t give you specific input on the named amps but i can say, that you´ll gona need an "laid back" amp for the HD25, because they tend to sound really fatigue and way to much forward when amped "wrong" (speaking: to much effort on the highs). From an opamp point of view they prefer the OPA627 over the AD797 if you know what that means. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks sir! However, even after reading amp reviews and specs, I still dont understand opamps so I have a very limited idea about them. Actually, I am not familiar to those you mentioned.

Do you guys think the E11 would be a good amp match? Thanks

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 14
in a nutshell: just don´t buy anything that is known to be surpassing bright or "sparkling" because it will amp the basic characteristics of the HD25 in harsh, fatigue levels.

additional info: Alot of people reported that this kind of harshness could be solved by replacing the HD25 cable with something made of copper ... so if you´ve bought your amp and still want to tune something ( for god´s sake ) you can swap the standard cable with the HD650 cable. I didn´t try this because i´m pretty happy with my current HD25 config ... Sansa Fuze -> IBasso P3+ ( L/R:OPA627/ BUF634 / Ground:AD797 )

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 14
All right! Thanks for the info sir! :) I am really happy with my hd25. I don't find it harsh although some tracks have a very sharp treble. I am not complaining though. As for amping, I was just looking for information since the hd25 is my first headphone and the amp will also be my first. I was thinking of the ibasso d2+(I haven't tried it) since it's already a DAC and amp or the E7(tried it with my friend's M50). I was also considering the E11 and PA2V2 for an amp only portable solution.

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 14
IMO, adding an amp really adds some punch to the bottom end and that seems to soften up aggressive mids of the Senns.  The PA2V2 seems to improve the positive qualities and diminish some of the less desirable qualities of the Senns.  Naturally, something more expensive in an amp makes those differences more apparent.

I would make sure you have a good source and source material (the biggest culprits of that "tiring" sound).  Second, consider the copper cable - others have reported that upgrade mellowing the Senns out.

Happy hunting and listening.

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 14
Ok sir thanks! Will look into the PA2V2. I am actually happy the stock configuration of the HD25. I dont find it harsh at all so I might not consider recabling for now. Must keep money inside my wallet. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back