HD25-1 ll impression....
Apr 14, 2013 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sargatanas

Head-Fier
hi everybody. very informative forum! hope i dont sound to negative. here we go... im kinda disappointed with my new HD25-l ll's. the mids are excellent but, the kick drum is lacking. ive also noticed their not loud enough for me going through a zip clip with rockbox. my klipsch over ear cans are very loud through the zip clip. i dont get it. ive been burning in these cans since early wednesday morning. anyways... im impressed enough with the mids to work with these cans. what can i do to get more volume and improve double kick-drum? i listen to mostly metal. kick drum with authority is a must. as much as i hate apple with a passion... im gonna need a larger mp3 player to pair with a portable amp. i need suggestions for a good portable amp that matches well with the HD25's. ive read countless threads of people saying you dont need an amp with these cans. sorry, not going for it. they do. unless all you listen to is classical and accoustic, then no... you dont need one. thanx for any suggestions

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 24
He's speaking the truth. If you enjoy sleeping in silence then you do not want tinnitus. I already have it and basically you'll never hear dead silence again and you'll damage your higher frequency hearing if you already haven't. Maxing out a Clip I would assume to be at least 95dB, which would pretty much permanently damage your hearing within hours.

If you really want to though then just get an E11. Bass-boost would remedy some of the kick (while boosting the punch aka mid-bass even more), but the HD25-ii's are known to have punch, not rumble/kick. You can't really alter that aspect of a headphone without internal modding and even then, modding only can remedy it or alter it to certain points, often while making other aspects of the headphone sound worse.

If you max the E11 out though, you will either be going deaf (figuratively, but pretty close to deaf) within a few months and won't ever be hearing music again or you'll blow out the HD25-ii's drivers before then.

And don't be anal / ungrateful. People recommend what's good for the long term and what is good for your health. If you don't appreciate that on an audiophile forum (where pretty much the entire population of the forum consists of adults), find another. If you really want to damage your hearing, then go right on ahead, but I wouldn't doubt that you'd regret it. I already do and I'm only 17. I can only hear up to 12kHz rather than ~19.5kHz now, aka I can't hear some frequencies of the crickets chirping nor certain aspects of songs. Sometimes the crickets get blocked out my tinnitus when it's dead silent because it's that loud / attention-grabbing. Mosquito's buzzing sound has been long gone and I liked that so I can find where the hell they are and kill them when they're in my house.

And really, you won't need an amp unless your sole purpose is to drive them to deafening levels (to the point where people around you can hear your music, even though it is a closed headphone. That is beyond deafening). Sound quality won't change at all (unless you have like superhuman hearing, and even then, I doubt there would be much of a change if any).

Here's a dB chart.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 24
look... im not looking to blow my ear-drums out lol. just looking for a fuller sound with a little more ooomph, thats all. with the clip zip it's lacking on every level. sorry for any confusion 

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 24
M80 won't isolate as much as HD25.  If you want that high, passive isolation, then the Beyer T50p is a great alternative.

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 24
Not enough bass impact? They've got a lot and plenty with a Fiio E11, bass boost at 2, volume at 2 (slightly less in order to not screw with your hearing).

The HD25-II are lacking in 'oomph' without an amp, in my opinion. With my ipod classic, the bass is barely present.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #13 of 24
The hd25 II 1 are not so good for metal, and are overhyped here.
Try an other headphone that match better  your taste.
Although they don't have the mid bass emphasis of the hd25
I thought that the srh940 are great for metal (now beware of built quality).

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
His issue wasn't isolation, it was not enough bass impact. T50p doesn't solve that from reviews and comparisons that I've read.

T50p has more than HD25, M80 has a bit more than either if he doesn't care for the reduced isolation.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #15 of 24
look... im not looking to blow my ear-drums out lol. just looking for a fuller sound with a little more ooomph, thats all. with the clip zip it's lacking on every level. sorry for any confusion 

I didn't wan't to be an ass, but it sounded like you needed it. With an amp you mostly will get a fuller, more controlled sound. But for the ooomph you should audition other headsets maybe to compare for yourself. They need to be bigger, basically. Well, in my humble experience that has proven to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back