HD201's or HD280's?
Mar 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FieldEffect

100+ Head-Fier
I picked up some HD201's today to use with my laptop so I could watch Netflix movies. They don't sound bad for the given use, but there are a couple things I don't like. For one, the cord splits and goes into both headphone cups--I prefer single-sided. Second, the cord is rather long and gets in the way (fixable with re-terminating, but I'd have to go buy ends and put forth effort). Third, the cord when it enters the cups seems flimsy and non-replaceable.

Given those things, I'm considering returning them and getting some HD-280's. They have a single-sided coiled cord which should be much better, and from what I can tell a lot of the parts are replaceable. But they'll be $100 vs. $30. I'm not sure if there will really be any sound quality difference when watching Netflix movies. Would it be worth the price difference?

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
I picked up some HD201's today to use with my laptop so I could watch Netflix movies. They don't sound bad for the given use, but there are a couple things I don't like. For one, the cord splits and goes into both headphone cups--I prefer single-sided. Second, the cord is rather long and gets in the way (fixable with re-terminating, but I'd have to go buy ends and put forth effort). Third, the cord when it enters the cups seems flimsy and non-replaceable.

Given those things, I'm considering returning them and getting some HD-280's. They have a single-sided coiled cord which should be much better, and from what I can tell a lot of the parts are replaceable. But they'll be $100 vs. $30. I'm not sure if there will really be any sound quality difference when watching Netflix movies. Would it be worth the price difference?

Um $30 for the HD201's is really steep. NewEgg usually has those level sennheisers for ~$10-$20. Also you should check out amazon if you want cheap sennheisers too. They have plenty of nice like new refurbished ones for cheap. Example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DGTGNG or the one you want: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Keep in mind I'm out of town for a while on vacation with my laptop, hence it's important I be able to enjoy my Netflix movies now, not whenever some online company gets around to shipping stuff. I want to buy local.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 8
But that's 1-2 days of my vacation! =)

I really think I must be the only person in the world that doesn't mind spending more to buy local. Everyone is always so adamant about buying online.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 8
i have 202's, 280s and my mate has 201s. The 280s are in a class of their own compared to the other 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back