HD-DVD, What type player do you have?
Dec 4, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #46 of 53
I know this is for HD players but I just wanted to chime in and say that I picked up The Thing in HD and watched it last night and all I can say is WOW! This is a must have on HD for your collection. I've owned this on VHS, the most recent DVD version and now HD and I can say with confidence that the HD copy is well worth owning over a upconverted SD-DVD. The colors are beautiful!

I also picked up Trading Places which is a great improvement but nothing to write home about. Total Recall on BD looks aweful (got that one too)... maybe a hair better than upconverted. Christmas Vacation on BD looks ok... overly soft and SQ is only in DD 2.0
confused.gif

Maybe we should start a HDM (BD and HD) movie rec thread with feedback on HDM PQ and SQ???

Dec 5, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #48 of 53
HD-DVD, Toshiba HD-A1.

Blu Ray was way too expensive and I wanted to enjoy HD right away. At the time, BR didn't yet have its act together anyway and there was more software coming out for HD. The time was better spent watching and enjoying HD movies rather than waiting for prices to come down and material to be available (BR).

I don't rent, but am picky about my purchases (DVD Empire, Amazon, Buy.com).

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe we should start a HDM (BD and HD) movie rec thread with feedback on HDM PQ and SQ???

I'd leave that one to the pros:
HD DVD User's PQ & AQ Reference Thread Part 2 - AVS Forum

I still haven't bought one yet, and my bitter heart refuses to support Sony when HD-DVDs have NO REGION ENCODING and so I can import to my heart's content without a single problem. I also have a bad feeling about watching movies on a PS3 to consider that an option, remember the PS2? Worst DVD player quality ever.

Besides, my plasma is "only" 720p and my 480p cheapo DVD player does a great job (via component!) with my library, as well as xvids. The OTA broadcasts that my HD antenna give me are truly amazing though.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by nogrot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I still haven't bought one yet, and my bitter heart refuses to support Sony when HD-DVDs have NO REGION ENCODING and so I can import to my heart's content without a single problem. I also have a bad feeling about watching movies on a PS3 to consider that an option, remember the PS2? Worst DVD player quality ever.

Besides, my plasma is "only" 720p and my 480p cheapo DVD player does a great job (via component!) with my library, as well as xvids. The OTA broadcasts that my HD antenna give me are truly amazing though.

Yup, there's a BD thread like that too but it might be fun for us to share our impressions as well.

I just ordered The Island from Amazon.UK on BD and you can get the Sony BDP300 (I think that's the one) for around $350 from Walmart.

For me it's all about the titles so I support both formats but I will usually go BD of HD on dual releases for uncompressed PCM audio.

GAD - Yes, that is the 1982 version from Carpenter.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by nogrot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The current update firmware for the PS3 makes it a top-notch looking BD player.

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #52 of 53
HD-A3 is a new addition for us ironically the player seems to have issues playing the Bourne Identity movie that came with the player. I have updated the firmware and still no luck, does anyone have a solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back