HD-DVD, What type player do you have?
Oct 22, 2007 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

fatcat28037

Headphoneus Supremus
I just purchased a Toshiba HD-DVD as opposed to the Sony Blue-Ray format HD-DVD. I did this for two reasons:
1) Sony hasn't been real successful in the past with making their technology the industry standard.
2) Cost, the Sony player was $200 more.

Today I went to Block Buster to rent a HD-DVD and found they don't have any. I was told only one store in the area stocked HD and they had only Blue-Ray. Block Buster has a contract/Deal with Sony to carry only their product. Cute. I think BB is $crewing themselves but this leaves me without a local rental source.

I can always buy them but I prefer to rent.

What type player do ya'll have and what's your source for HD-DVD's?

Oct 22, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 53
I use netflix to rent my HD DVDs. I only have a 360 External Drive at the moment though. I don't plan on investing in a good drive until things are more clear with the format war. What I'm really waiting for is who will end up providing a rewritable drive for a decent price.

Oct 22, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just purchased a Toshiba HD-DVD as opposed to the Sony Blue-Ray format HD-DVD. I did this for two reasons:
1) Sony hasn't been real successful in the past with making their technology the industry standard.
2) Cost, the Sony player was $200 more.

Today I went to Block Buster to rent a HD-DVD and found they don't have any. I was told only one store in the area stocked HD and they had only Blue-Ray. Block Buster has a contract/Deal with Sony to carry only their product. Cute. I think BB is $crewing themselves but this leaves me without a local rental source.

I can always buy them but I prefer to rent.

What type player do ya'll have and what's your source for HD-DVD's?

Sony has also had a lot of success, too...PS1, PS2, CD players, etc..

I own a PS3.. However, there is a thread on BB's decision not to carry HD-DVD on this forum. From what I remember in that thread, BB rents HD DVDs online and so does Netflix.

Oct 22, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 53
I have the XBox 360 external drive for HD-DVD, and the PS3 for my blu ray needs.

Oct 22, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbasanti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hd-DVD sucks....blu ray is where its at.

And what exactly makes you say that? Way to back up such a strong statement...

Anyway, I'm still undecided on where I stand on the whole format war. I think I may end up buying the 360 add on to test the waters. It's cheap and will get the job done (elite + add on = 1080p) until the war is settled or cheaper stand alone players come out that have all the bells and whistles.

Oct 22, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 53
Thats the fun bit, as everyone just kind of sits and waits, there is no definitive winner because nobody is buying enough for one to emerge. The fact that there are exclusives to both sides have disgusted me enough to forgo the whole thing and just have an upconverting dvd player. Good enough for me!

Oct 22, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 53
I had a Toshiba Xa2 and returned it. It was a buggy player that couldn't even play DVDs properly 1/2 the time. After owning it for 20 days I concluded that if their premier 2nd gen HD-DVD player couldn't pass muster, then the technology isn't ready for prime time.

Netflix for HD-DVD rentals is the only way to fly. Buying them right now is an expensive proposition. I do have about 5 movies I'd sell if you're interested.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Oct 22, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 53
First gen Toshiba HD-XA1 owner here. I've never had a problem with the player, other than it's slow as molasses.

I use Netflix. Man, if you've never used Neflix, you're in for a treat. There's no going back to retail store after it; at least to me.

Congrats fatcat. Enjoy the world of High Def disc.

Oct 22, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blu-Ray is the technically superior choice, so my housemates and I went with the PS3.

it may have more storage but the releases on both formats seem to always use the same transfer with the same bitrates...

plus bluray uses the awful BDJava language while HD-DVD uses [i forget] which is supposedly 49589486598546x easier to work with

anyway... i use the 360 player

Oct 23, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 53
I have the HDA2 and have had almost no problems with it. It is picky about scratched discs though. I mostly buy so couldn't tell ya where to go for rentals. I may pick up a BD player if they get cheaper or I may wait for Denon to release a kickass hybrid.

Oct 23, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbasanti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hd-DVD sucks....blu ray is where its at.

While I do not think that HD DVD sucks, it has been outsold consistently and by a wide margin since the release of the PS3. The margin will most likely get larger when PS3 puts out games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Little Big Planet, etc..

It should be mentioned that having two formats does make the consumer want to "wait and see" if they are interested in them at all. With Directv, Dish, and others supporting more HD channels with the ability to save them to a PVR, it makes the wait even easier. Also, the fact that the studios are putting nearly every movie out in both DVD and high def formats makes the waiting pretty easy. If they start producing HD DVD or BD blockbusters only in HD formats, then maybe people will buy a machine to play them...I am not holding my breath, though.

To me the PS3 seemed to be a better investment because it does more than just play BDs and because I can't see Sony abanding it for a long, long time.

Oct 23, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony has also had a lot of success, too...PS1, PS2, CD players, etc..

I own a PS3.. However, there is a thread on BB's decision not to carry HD-DVD on this forum. From what I remember in that thread, BB rents HD DVDs online and so does Netflix.

You're right about Sony Successes, I should have been more specific. I meant media formats Sony has introduced have not been successful.

Read this.
http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Sony_s...ts_and_Devices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back