HD-DVD vs. Blue-Ray - my thoughts
Sep 14, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #17 of 36
the PS3 is such a reviled piece of electronic; BR may have the initial momentum, but HD-DVD appears to be more stable for the long haul

.. that is, if either format were to survive at all in 5 years

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #18 of 36
It's all well and good to say use the anlog outs for the new audio formats. but my amp has only one set of anlog in's, and I need that for my DVD-Audio.
do any of these new players also play DVD-Audio? I'm pretty sure the Sony one's wont
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll wait for an Oppo Combo player..

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #19 of 36
Oppo...yessss! haha.

I heard that Microsoft dumped millions into HD-DVD a few weeks back. I was pretty irritated to see them get their finger into the pie as we know they have other motives for anything they get involved in.

Capacity for Blu-ray is nearly double HD-DVD isn't it? That's a good thing.

Gad, you sure got a lot of info together for a druggy...nice. I was surprised to read your quote that the frames will be interlaced/deinterlaced before you see them. Is that necessarily bad? Well, it is necessary? If it were audio, we'd all be trying to figure out how to remove a set of processing from a DAC to get some better sound out of it. In this case, it would also increase cost having extra chips. Anyway, it's really odd!

I'm fairly sure I'll stick with Sony on this one.

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #20 of 36
Consumers understand DVD and HD. Blu Ray is no more comprehensible to the average consumer than the difference between 720p and 1080i. BluRay starts off at a disadvantage in my view. If all else is relatively equal, consumers buy on price.

It seemed like Sony was gaining the upper hand by defining a virtual standard via studio support, but that changed a few weeks ago with the Universal announcement. Blu Ray still has better studio support, but their only real advantages now are PS3 (which is arguable as it's not primarily a movie playing device) and their, so far, superior marketing. That kind of a plan can work if you can strangle the competition with exclusive studio support or huge price advantages, but there are rumors exclusive support could continue to slip and price is a liability for Blu Ray in every respect.

HDTV's have now fallen in price near the point of critical mass. I assume the numbers of HD vs Blu Ray sales to this point are negligible in the grand scheme of things, but things will pick up this Christmas season as players and TV's continue to drop in price.

HD-DVD has certainly made some mistakes- marketing, ridiculously priced dual media- but if HD-DVD can produce a $100- $150 player and actually market it to the average customer (Walmart), this will be over a lot faster than people would like to think. I know it didn't look very good a couple of months ago, but HD-DVD is priced right and just such an intuitive concept it would take nearly a miracle for it to lose this now.

Just as an aside- I have no real stake in which format wins, I just think HD has more going for it from the perspective of consumers (but I bought the cheap one just in case
biggrin.gif
).

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard that Microsoft dumped millions into HD-DVD a few weeks back. I was pretty irritated to see them get their finger into the pie as we know they have other motives for anything they get involved in.

Do you have a source for that? I'd be very interested to read more.

Quote:

Capacity for Blu-ray is nearly double HD-DVD isn't it? That's a good thing.

For the average movie-watching consumer? No. For people who want to use them for data storage - yes (That's me in a HUGE way). Right now the Blue-ray recorders are too expensive, but the blank discs are rediculously expensive.

Quote:

Gad, you sure got a lot of info together for a druggy...nice. I was surprised to read your quote that the frames will be interlaced/deinterlaced before you see them. Is that necessarily bad? Well, it is necessary? If it were audio, we'd all be trying to figure out how to remove a set of processing from a DAC to get some better sound out of it. In this case, it would also increase cost having extra chips. Anyway, it's really odd!

I'm fairly sure I'll stick with Sony on this one.[/QUOTE]

Read the article I linked - they claim that Sony does it too, or at least "many of the BR players".

As for int/de-int, it doesn't matter to me as long as the source is 1080p/30.

GAD

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #23 of 36
i think the holidays will let the studios decide which format will win and i
don't care which i just want one player and all the movies to be available
on that format with all the audio dts master and dolby tru-hd with 1080p.

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the holidays will let the studios decide which format will win and i
don't care which i just want one player and all the movies to be available
on that format with all the audio dts master and dolby tru-hd with 1080p.

X2

Sep 15, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a source for that? I'd be very interested to read more.

Had to dig around for this, but found the info.

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...le.php/3696286

at the bottom of this....an "anonymous donor"??? ...riiiiight....!

and http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...oft-hd-dvd.ars

I think their decision had a lot to do with the HD-DVD players that are an option for XBox 360.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the average movie-watching consumer? No. For people who want to use them for data storage - yes (That's me in a HUGE way).

Good point!

Sep 15, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blu-ray, HD DVD.

Um....so what are your thoughts? You might want to have a little more substantive post!

Sep 15, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Had to dig around for this, but found the info.

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...le.php/3696286

at the bottom of this....an "anonymous donor"??? ...riiiiight....!

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...oft-hd-dvd.ars

Good read - thanks for taking the time to find it.

Quote:

I think their decision had a lot to do with the HD-DVD players that are an option for XBox 360.

I would agree.

GAD

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Um....so what are your thoughts? You might want to have a little more substantive post!

An analyst told me blu ray will win. It just has too much going for it. More studios (Fox, Disney, Sony...), more hardware manufacturers, PS3, superior tech specs...

I think either BRD will win, or both will coexist, or both will fail.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An analyst told me blu ray will win. It just has too much going for it. More studios (Fox, Disney, Sony...), more hardware manufacturers, PS3, superior tech specs...

I think either BRD will win, or both will coexist, or both will fail.

I think Blu-ray Disk (BD; not BRD
evil_smiley.gif
) has an advantage in part because of the PS3 and is why BD is winning, and is most likely to win.

As mentioned early, if Microsoft bundled the HD-DVD drive or had it integrated into the X-BOX 360, we could be looking at something entirely different, but they didn't.

I'm an early adopter of the PS3, so I'm going to be a bit biased towards Blu-ray.
evil_smiley.gif

Just my thoughts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back