HD 800 sibilance has to go!
Feb 27, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #61 of 73
This.
Quote:
For what it is worth, my experience so far with the HD 800's is that sibilance seems to be more dependent on the the recording. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #62 of 73
This is an old thread, but I'd like to ask how much of a difference a tube amp would make.

I just got a pair of HD800s, and everything I've read about them is true--incredible detail, clarity, soundstaging, etc.  But the sibilance is difficult to take.  Yes, it's recording dependent, but the HD800s accentuate the problem as compared to my HD650s or my speakers (PSB Stratus Golds).

I've done the Anaxilus mod, which does help--maybe a 60% reduction in sibilance, although at the expense of a slight decrease in clarity.

I'm currently using a Schiit Audio Asgard 2 amp (fed by a Lexicon MC-8's DACs).  So how much of a difference would a tube amp make?  I'm thinking about a Woo Audio WA3 or WA7.  I don't want to take the plunge and then find out the sibilance is still a problem.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #63 of 73
Tubes aren't a cure-all. Some tube amps are more 'solid state' than solid state amps.

It's more that the Asgard isn't a great match for HD800s. When I tried an Asgard I noted that it was slightly rough, which could accentuate sibilance. HD800s by nature don't accentuate sibilance, it merely tells you if the recording has it instead of masking it (and other detail) like almost all other headphones do.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #64 of 73
Thanks.  I'm certainly open to suggestions of what tube amp would work well with the HD800s.  I've seen the Woo WA2 mentioned a lot, but I don't need the multiple inputs, and the small physical size of the WA3 and WA7 appeal to me (not that I need the DACs of the WA7).

Quote:
Tubes aren't a cure-all. Some tube amps are more 'solid state' than solid state amps.

It's more that the Asgard isn't a great match for HD800s. When I tried an Asgard I noted that it was slightly rough, which could accentuate sibilance. HD800s by nature don't accentuate sibilance, it merely tells you if the recording has it instead of masking it (and other detail) like almost all other headphones do.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #65 of 73
Can't you just make an EQ adjustment rather than modifying the headphone or changing amps and DAC's if only the sibilance is the issue? 

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #66 of 73
Schiit Vali $119

Doesn't get smaller than this and still work well with HD800s.

http://schiit.com/products/vali

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #67 of 73
Well, with my current setup, I have no ability to do EQ: FLAC files-->Squeezebox Touch-->digital input to Lexicon MC-8-->zone 2 output (no EQ or even tone controls available)-->Asgard 2-->HD800s.

Quote:
  Can't you just make an EQ adjustment rather than modifying the headphone or changing amps and DAC's if only the sibilance is the issue? 

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #68 of 73
hi eelton. i got a pair of hd800 and the the first production wa7 with tube psu directly from jack wu at montreal's last son & image show and done the anaxilus mod on the 800. i use a double pc jriver/jplay setup going into an emmlabs dac2 to my classe audio omega preamp to the wa7 rca jacks and it gives amazing results. very balanced sound with amazing punchy bass,  mids that are neither prominent nor recessed and sweet detailed hf with dead silent background and great spaciousness. plus burn-in is still ongoing and i don't even have the upraded tubes on the amp yet (they're on order) although i have the upgraded ones on the psu. i did a comparison with the wa7 with the standard psu at the show (sorry jack for all the plugging and unplugging) and the improvements are well worth the extra money. i had been looking for the better part of the last 2 years for a headphone rig that could be a very worthy substitute to my 60k$ speakers rig (i use classe audio monoblocks going into a pair of magnepan 3.6R) and this setup is very very worthy at a very reasonable price in my opinion.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #69 of 73
Thanks, Pecari.

Probably for various reasons, I'm finding the sibilance to be less of an issue.  I'm also now using a Woo WA7, which may or may not have an advantage over my Schiit Asgard 2.  I also found a plugin that does EQ with my Squeezebox server (in the digital domain), and I'm using a 2 dB cut at 6K and 10K--it's a slight change, but it makes a difference.  I had been using the Anaxilus mod, but I eventually removed it because I don't seem to need it.  Maybe I'm also getting more used to the sound.  I can't really ascribe it to burn-in, since I bought the HD800s used, but who knows.

I now hear sibilance only with really bright recordings, so I'm very happy with the sound.

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #70 of 73
I find Yulong's DAC's to match well with the HD800.
The DA8 is a little forgiving of sibilance/bad recordings, while his D18 is *very* forgiving.  
I use the DA8 with my set of HD800s paired with the Violectric V200 and its a perfect match!

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #72 of 73
Do you use the sharp or smooth filter?

Both, depending on the music.
I prefer sharp for metal, guitar and electronica, and smooth for most everything else. But the difference between filters is very small.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #73 of 73
hi eelton. i got a pair of hd800 and the the first production wa7 with tube psu directly from jack wu at montreal's last son & image show and done the anaxilus mod on the 800...

I had this woo wa7 setup but used a smoother more refined and resolved dac which was excellent, the Arcam irdac.
The wa7 internal dac was abrasive.

Side note:
The tube power supply was no joke and gave the wa7 a serious boost analogous to being as if a "loudness" button was pressed to the sound.

Ok..
So before the woo setup, I was not enjoying my first Hd800 and returned it.
Then once I attained the woo wa7,
I made a trade for a second hd800 which was ever so slightly better, with a big plus,
This time I got a Cardas cable included..
Great improvement that I never would believe a wire could do. .

The hd800 was finally was starting to sound tolerable but still needed EQ for me..

Then came the oppo HA-1 and the soundstage was clearer and the more polished sound was another step up with more resolution.
The impedance matching must have been a factor as it was a sweet improvement.

Finally to not need any EQ, I tried the anax2.0 mod with the creatology foam and that white rug liner..
BUT..

The Impressively juicy sound without sibilance,
was at the expense of a smaller, more closed in, and less airy sound...
with forward mids and thicker upper bass..
Not good..

So like they say, I kept experimenting...

I found out that to keep some bass without making bass close and losing bass soundstage "air",
so it matches the rest of signature,
I was forced to remove the "trapezoid" piece, and then signature was more balanced.

Second problem was amount of bass..
I had to cut out the thinnest possible creatology foam ring, to just cover metal ring around the driver...

That gave the bass punch without any "close-up" bass & upper bass elevation which would alter my soundstage.

Then I put that white rug liner, which took care of trebles well, and gave focus, BUT, for some reason, having it in seemed to "sap" some life and ambiance out of the trebles,
as well as reduce soundstage. ..

So I read to remove the stock black felt cover and just use "as is", without a cover, so the mod is visible or exposed, and guess what?

It all came back together with "life" and "air" back in the highs..
Soundstage is still not 100% as stock, but the plus, is that it is much more refined and focused.

So now this pretty much sounds like the best I ever herd the hd800. ..

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back