HD 650: Tight bass and fast enough attack speed for dark psytrance??
Oct 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

those_stairs

Head-Fier
Are the HD 650's (combined with the right amp and dac) good at delivering the punchy snap, dynamics and energetic quality of this kinda music?

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 31
Check out Purrin's waterfall graphs showing the attack / decay measured rates for the 
Grado RS1 / Senn HD650 and Denon D2000

RS1 did best, Senn HD650 was more than competent but the D2000 looked shabby
and slow in comparison.

Still they're just measurements I guess at the end of the day, the RS1 may be fast but
it generally sucks for electronica.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 31

Quote:

How expensive amp do I need? Burson Audio's HA-160 seems good enough?

Yep, that will be overkill if anything ~ sound will be quite warm, not ideal if you like sonic highs in your treble.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 31
Wow that first track was a total nostalgia trip.  It felt like I was in the basement playing FFVII again.

J-E-N-O-V-A!!!

The HD650 is plenty fast enough to handle the music but if you are into high treble energy, you might need to look elsewhere.

BTW, listening to the tracks on a Denon D5000 I would have to say the bass was a little too muddy for my tastes.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
Yep, that will be overkill if anything ~ sound will be quite warm, not ideal if you like sonic highs in your treble.

"Sonic highs" in my treble? Does this mean unnaturally high treble in my treble?
"Sound will be quite warm"? Some reviewers say the sound is very transparent and natural. Some say it's warm, some say it's neutralizing the HD 650's supposed warmth...
confused_face.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 31

Quote:
"Sonic highs" in my treble? Does this mean unnaturally high treble in my treble?
"Sound will be quite warm"? Some reviewers say the sound is very transparent and natural. Some say it's warm, some say it's neutralizing the HD 650's supposed warmth...
confused_face.gif

Yep, HD 650 is definitely warm, coupled with a Burson 160 it will be very, very cosy indeed. If that's your idea of natural then you can
cross off any chances of being a treble-head. 

Just preferences at the end of the day ~ I like the HD650 off fairly bright sources + amps, I feel it balances out nicely.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 31
Oct 20, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 31
Where are Purin's waterfall plots for the D2000?  I only ever saw them for the D7000-- which-- by the graphs (if I read the right ones in the right way), had a tighter bass response than the HD650.  The songs don't have a lot of impactful or fast bass imo, but it could be the youtube vids.

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 31
I don't think I've ever heard dark psytrance. Suppose I'll have to add it to the list of things I need to try. :)

Anyway, you want lots of tight, deep bass, right?

The HD-650 works great for that. Though they're particular about amps. For deep, tight bass you'd want clean solid state with lots of power. The classic example is the Dynalo/Gilmore Lite. A bit over 1W of power and clean and clear as the morning light. You might also want to consider the M^3 which can be built with a variable bass boost control and the new O2. I haven't head the O2, but it sure has clean measurements. So, no, you do not have to spend a fortune on an amp. But you will have to spend a few hundred on the right one.

As for the Denons, they produce a lot of bass that I don't find particularly clean. Clean bass in closed headphones is hard to find. Most people are happy with the huge amount. The Grado RS-1 is quite colored. I enjoyed a pair for several years then burned out on the sound. It was like having ketchup on everything I ate. The HD-650 has a slightly dark coloration overall, but it is evenhanded and not too bad. The HD-600 is a bit more neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back