hd 650 smearing sounds?!
Aug 14, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #167 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that is the smearing i am hearing too, the very last bit of edge detail is missing?! But then again, the graphs show it behaves very well througout the frequencies, so it won't take much away. It could well be that your IC's block more then the sennheiser does!

had the same problem with grado sr1's; the highs killed me. The drive is better then the hd650. But with good amping, the hd650 comes very close.

it seems that alot of people who cannot stand the highs on grado's all love sennheisers.
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

But, if you can stand the highs, the sr1 is a good headphone the gs1 is even improving on that. it suppose to have better highs, not as sibilant and better, deeper controlled bottom. So, yes, sennheiser needs a new dynamic champ.

To bad the sr1 is sooo expensive over here, at least 800 euro's vs the 400 euro's for the hd650. And i think they are pretty much in the same ballpark.

I have tried some different IC, if it was not my imagination than it did something but not at all as much as I wanted, I guess an EQ could fix it but you now it should not be the right way to go
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #168 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mainly driver but your right that energy is also stored into baffle or headphone frame.

Mainly why electrostatic headphones in general have more detail; the driver is fed with impulses all over the driver to counter attack the waves of other sounds. Something a dynamic driver can't do.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #169 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried some different IC, if it was not my imagination than it did something but not at all as much as I wanted, I guess an EQ could fix it but you now it should not be the right way to go
tongue.gif

EQ is not my prefered method. I would try cables just as long as it would need to find the "right cable". EQ is boosting or dampening frequencies; this is not in the original recording. You could totally unbalance a signal. EQ is only prefered with a speaker setup if you have some problems in your room with certain frequencies. Not something you really want with headphones, since you don't have this accoustic problem.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #171 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electrostatic headphones have certainly good traits. But unfortunately low mass in the element also lowers the perceived substanse in the sound.

Ahh, that explains the most heard of complaint: "sounding thin" and not a low, impactfull bass.

These threads are really good to learn more about sound and audio.
wink.gif
cool.gif

The more we share, the more we learn.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
eek.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #173 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
never cast the hd650 into doubt. haha - it is THE headphone for many people. every headphone has got its own weaknesses - we can leave it there.

Not really and sennheiser won't either, hence the new flagship first quarter 2008.
wink.gif

There's nothing wrong in taking a closer look to your preferred headphone and examine the weaknesses. The less weaknesses you find, the more you appreciate what the headphone does for you.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #175 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by heretical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yuo know what's the problem? Headphones, by their nature, invite you to overly analyse sounds. This even ends up affecting your musical preferences in not the most desirable desirable way (if headphones are what you use the most if not exclusively)

God bless headphones with a speaker-like equalized sound like the HD650!
600smile.gif

I have always liked the detailed sound from HPs, I don't want any Diffuse field to take that away. I prefere my headphones over my speakers.

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #176 of 178
Quote:

Who would have doubted?
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, the HD650 is far (really) more detailed than any speaker I have come across thanks to the very low distortion (and I always loved small monitor speakers of pedigree). Wanting more detail is nearly automatically qualifying as detail fanatics, IMHO. My thinking is that many such people dwell on head-fi
redface.gif
(no offense, it's just a characterisation like any other; I'm just a little worried about a risk of homolgation).

I have heard speaker setups that beat really good headphone setups. But it comes at a price!

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #177 of 178
Quote:

Who would have doubted?
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, the HD650 is far (really) more detailed than any speaker I have come across thanks to the very low distortion (and I always loved small monitor speakers of pedigree). Wanting more detail is nearly automatically qualifying as detail fanatics, IMHO. My thinking is that many such people dwell on headphone forums
redface.gif
(no offense, it's just a characterisation like any other; I'm just a little worried about a risk of homolgation).

X2, don't know what homolgation is though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back