HD 650 Problem, Any Ideas?
Feb 24, 2009 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

stew1234

100+ Head-Fier
The right channel in my HD 650's has developed a rattling noise when driven at higher volumes with electronic or drum heavy music. With lighter music such as acoustic tracks everything sounds great and crystal clear. But with bass heavy music I can hear what sounds like a rattling in the right ear. The speaker sounds fine but it just sounds like something is physically rattling when the phones are driven harder. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on what may be causing this it'd be much appreciated.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 16
It's dust on the driver, surely. This has happened to me.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 16
Yep probably a hair that got stuck somewhere in your headphone. It is vibrating and you can hear it very clearly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for the help, that was a pretty quick consensus. I took off the pad and cleared it out. It's fine now. I'm amazed that can have such a big impact on the sound, but then again I guess when you think about the resolution of the headphone just about anything can affect it in a big way.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by stew1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the help, that was a pretty quick consensus. I took off the pad and cleared it out. It's fine now. I'm amazed that can have such a big impact on the sound, but then again I guess when you think about the resolution of the headphone just about anything can affect it in a big way.

I was surprised too.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 16
I know. I had some cases of grattle before. It changes the sound a lot. With that said I am discussing with some guy at the moment that claims frequency range is the most important thing in a headphone because if it isn't wide you will miss a lot of music.
Oh yeah.. His CX300s are high-end.
redface.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by musako6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow...didn't know that hair/dust could make that big of an impact on the headphones. At least it wasn't something worst.

I had just bought the Compass, Furutech Plug and Neutrik plug (for Denon) and bought myself a new $40 dollar wok, $25 dollar huge knife, new bowls, tea pot and imported tea. Yeah you may all think, psshh whatever, I still have a year left in College to finish and pay for, while I'm working in Non-Profit (awesome way to make money), while budgeting for dates and ways to impress the girlfriend.

Compass payment and shipment confirmed. It's Sunday, Compass expected to arrive on Monday. While browsing Head-Fi I noticed something wrong with the AD900 right driver. The entire right driver on the AD900 sound reduced. It sounded like it was blown, shot, and I panicked. NOO! I can't afford to replace them right now, waah! While I took it apart to clean, in my head just whining, please let it be hair and dust, please let it be hair and dust. Oh thank you! It was dust and hair, phew.

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #12 of 16
Yup, I had the same problem today. I use the HD600 without the inside foams mod and I started getting this static noise after listening to them for a while. I checked and a single strand of hair was laying on top of those thin soft fabric housing the speaker. I removed it and everything was back to normal. I didn't know that thin soft fabric housing was so sensitive to hair and dust.

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 16
Fixed this same problem with rattling in my HD555 and Koss portapros. Imagine my surprise to discover that it was dog hair in each case and not some loose piece of hardware. I can only imagine how many people out there have had this problem and have tossed their headphone. This should be some kind of sticky no?

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 16
From now on, just put your hair up in a bun before listening.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherMovesOn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fixed this same problem with rattling in my HD555 and Koss portapros. Imagine my surprise to discover that it was dog hair in each case and not some loose piece of hardware. I can only imagine how many people out there have had this problem and have tossed their headphone. This should be some kind of sticky no?

You've gotta cut down on your dogs headphone time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back