HD 650 or Ultrasone Proline 2500 or Beyer DT880?
Feb 11, 2007 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry for another "what do you all recommend" post.

But here goes...

I am planning on ordering one of the three phones tomorrow, but can't really decide which to get. I'm sure I'll eventually end up with all three, but what to get first, that is the question.

My listening preferences are normally jazz (traditional, contemporary, fusion), pop, and some classical. I've currently got the SP MPX3 w/o the Slam upgrade.

I've got five decent phones already (Grado SR 225, RS-1; AKG 501, 701; Beyer 990 Pro) but I'm really curious about the Sennheiser "sound", the Ultrasone "sound" and the difference between my 990 pros and the 880's.

I'm hoping to find some cans that comes between the 701's and 990 pros, in that I like the ultra detail of the 990's but sometimes the cans demand, like a drill sergeant, that you notice each and every nuance on a recording; wheres the 701's kind of let to listen for the nuances if you want to. They don't seem to care. And as for the Grado's, I find the 225's to be a "fun" listen no matter what I'm listening to. They sort of just get the toe a-tappin'. And the RS-1's seem to lean closer to the other cans in terms of headstaging.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Proline 2500 first, then the Senns and eventually the 880's.

Which would be your first choice among the three listed?

Thanks for any and all input.

Ciao

Feb 11, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 16
I own both the 650s and 2500s. I have had the 650s for some time now and like them a great deal now that I added
ZuMobius cables to them to lift the veil. I use a Heed Canamp
with them (the better the amp, the better the 650s). I am
told that they like tube amps as well. They are very different from the 701s which we both own. Fuller bottom, a bit lush
with orchestrals, above average for rock but not great. They
are a magnificent headphone but very, very source dependent. The 2500s are only 3 days old! So far, fabulous!
They have a required 200 hour burn in so I can't speak in
absolutes yet, but they seem like they could be your best
choice for your preferences.

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 16
Since the previous post addressed the HD650s I will suggest that the DT880s don't compare in absolute terms with the 2500s. You very well may enjoy the DT880s but for myself they fall behind the 2500s for my personal enjoyment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, I'm leaning toward the Proline 2500 first, then the Senns and eventually the 880's.

Which would be your first choice among the three listed?

Thanks for any and all input.

Ciao

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 16
I just gave the 650s and 2500s a quick listen, and for the moment, the 2500s are emerging as the favorite. they seem
to do more things right than the 650s even though the Sennheisers do many things so well!

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 16
My vote goes to the Proline 2500 as well.

I currently own the HD650 and the Proline 650, and taking into account, that you are in for a new sound signature, i think the 2500 might be the better choice, as far as i can judge from their "younger brothers"
cool.gif

Because the sound representation of the Ultrasone is very different from the HD650, and seeing that you already own 5 "conventional" headphones, you would get a new experience for sure....

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 16
If you do get the 2500s don't listen to them out of the box...for any comparison with what you have now.

Let them burn-in for at least 100 hours with pink noise first, that is four days non-stop.

You must give them this treatment first.

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 16
I am using pink noise as part of my burn in process for the first time. I know we don't hear the frequency changes in the pink noise but it seems so odd to me. Old fashioned I guess.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 16
With your MPX3 I think the HD650, nor the DT880 will add a lot to your K701, while the PROline 2500 most definitely will.
I say: go for the PROline 2500. It will give you a different taste that is well worth it.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 16
I had the HD-580s a long time ago, and while they were my first audiophile cans and I initially loved them to death, I then realized that they were too laid-back and didn't cut it with rock. To be sure, the HD-650s are technically superior to the HD-580s, but they share the same house sound that IMO is not very versatile.

FWIW, right now I have the RS-1s, DT-990s (2005), and 2500s (got them 3 days ago), and I'm considering selling off the RS-1s and DT-990s. The 2500s have an awesome soundstage that presents the music very naturally, but unlike the Sennheisers, it keeps the excitement for all types of music.

The bass is simply incredible (insane extension and perhaps better impact than the RS-1s), the sound is much fuller than the DT-990s without sounding veiled, and they are more comfortable than the RS-1s. Also, the vocals are *just right*, sounding fuller than on the Beyers but without sacrificing neutrality across other frequencies like the RS-1s do. Plus they are very sturdy and well-built, and fold up for easy transport. The only caveat is that they clamp very hard (though that's good for headbanging, etc) and aren't nearly as comfy as the Beyers. But still, if you have endured wearing RS-1s, you shouldn't have a problem with the Ultrasones.

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #14 of 16
I can recommend DT880's for the great bass reproduction and detail. Overall sound (on a good recording) is quite close to my Genelec studio monitors. Obviously not the same air pressure impact but the bass comes through at the correct level. Cymbal (and sometimes hi-hats) initial attacks may sound a bit pronounced on the DT880's. As if you selected the initial bell part of the cymbal sample and raised it 3 dB.

Examples of Jazz/Fusion music that I think sounds great on the DT880 since that's what you wanted to listen to: Tribal Tech studio albums. Most of Chick Corea electric band albums. "Vital Tech Tones, Vol. 2" (Scott Henderson, Steve Smith, Victor Wooten).

There will be albums that sound truly horrible on the DT880's. In my opinion a poorly produced one will go right through and hurt your ears, no matter how well the musicians perform. (Prime example: Richie Kotzen & Greg Howe on their two albums "Tilt" and "Project" - what the hell was the sound engineer smoking? Ruined two great guitarists performance, actually they play so good that I recommend these albums anyway if you are into fusion guitar virtuoso)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back