HD 650 or HD 600: hard choice...
Aug 31, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #16 of 24
HD650 if you can budget it.  You'll need a decent amp to drive it though.  Another good thing about the HD650... the sound just gets better and better as you upgrade your chain.  (I guess you can say that about a lot of cans but these are widely known to "grow" with your hardware well)

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #17 of 24
If you're avoiding treble, HD650 should be top on your list.  That's it's fame (and it's bane) is its rolled off treble.  Many people hate it because it's "not exciting enough", and many love it because it's "wonderfully refined and fatigue-free."  If you like it warm & laid back, HD650 is certain to please. 

Sound stage-wise, they're more similar than different really, and it probably depends more on amplification than which headphone you get.  Being more flat, HD600 may come across as a bit wider, and being more warm HD650 may come across with a more coherent center image, all in your head of course.  But that may be compensated as the HD600 drivers sit a bit closer to the ear.  I'd say soundstage will have greater difference between amps than between these two headphones. 

Also, in response to your original question about tubes (though answered already), it's purely about preference.  There are many HD650/600 owners who swear by tubes who like the smooth "liquid" sound they create, and others who insist the headphone is "liquid enough" and benefits from SS sharpness to liven them up, so it's purely 50/50 preference.   These headphones do respond well to the difference between the two.  My favorite amp with them is the my Schiit Lyr (tube/hybrid) with a collection of nice tubes.  I disliked my Headroom Micro SS (congested mids), moderately accepted the O2 (too neutral, analytical with HD650, IMO.)  But on my Marantz PM6004 (big speaker amp I bought for HE-6) they actually sound quite good, similar to the Lyr tubes.  They take advantage of the differences between amps very well, so it's more about finding the sound you want than "good or bad" types.  It's picky about what you pair it with, but there are valid choices at every price point.  It's not so much about "needs expensive amping" so much as "needs one it likes at a given price."  Obviously, it scales well (both 600 & 650) to expensive amping too, of course!

The amp i just bought is also a speaker amp. I tried some jazz on it, it kind of failed me, when teamed up with the CD player from the same family. I compared that with the wav file ripped from the same CD, but thr my ipc rig. The ipc rig gave a more refined sound. The 651a gave a more flat sound, but more treble. From this I guess HD650 is what I should go for...

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:
The amp i just bought is also a speaker amp. I tried some jazz on it, it kind of failed me, when teamed up with the CD player from the same family. I compared that with the wav file ripped from the same CD, but thr my ipc rig. The ipc rig gave a more refined sound. The 651a gave a more flat sound, but more treble. From this I guess HD650 is what I should go for...

The 651a should be a good amp in general, but yes, very SS and very neutral.  If you dislike the extra treble from that, then, yes, I'd go with the HD650 which would roll off some of that treble and keep a more "long-term-listening" sound.  Very warm in tone.  Also, I'd think the 651a headamp stage would be a good SS amp (assuming you like the sound.)  Most integrateds from dedicated audio companies put at least half-decent headamps on their speaker amps (unlike AVRs...)

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #19 of 24
The 651a should be a good amp in general, but yes, very SS and very neutral.  If you dislike the extra treble from that, then, yes, I'd go with the HD650 which would roll off some of that treble and keep a more "long-term-listening" sound.  Very warm in tone.  Also, I'd think the 651a headamp stage would be a good SS amp (assuming you like the sound.)  Most integrateds from dedicated audio companies put at least half-decent headamps on their speaker amps (unlike AVRs...)

Can you tell me what 651a headamp stage is as you mentioned? Is it another amp or?...

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:
Despite the frequent mention of "more bass", which is true, it should be kept in mind that the more notable feature should be "less treble" more than "more bass"...more more specifically a warmer midrange on the HD650.  Yes, it's most prominent feature is that midbass hump and the rolled off treble, but the real key to the HD650 sound is the lush and warm mids and laid back sound.  HD600 is the more neutral/flat of the two.   For jazz, HD650 is hard to beat.  For rock...it's more preference of whether you like it warm and laid back, or more energetic.

I've been reading HD 600 and HD 650 (and HD 598 and HD 800) reviews and commentary for weeks while trying to decide what to buy. Your commentary matches what seems to be the consensus opinion.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't heard a Senn, except for the HD 201, since 1979. I'm merely repeating what I've read.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:
If you're avoiding treble, HD650 should be top on your list.  That's it's fame (and it's bane) is its rolled off treble.  Many people hate it because it's "not exciting enough", and many love it because it's "wonderfully refined and fatigue-free."  If you like it warm & laid back, HD650 is certain to please. 

Sound stage-wise, they're more similar than different really, and it probably depends more on amplification than which headphone you get.  Being more flat, HD600 may come across as a bit wider, and being more warm HD650 may come across with a more coherent center image, all in your head of course.  But that may be compensated as the HD600 drivers sit a bit closer to the ear.  I'd say soundstage will have greater difference between amps than between these two headphones. 

Also, in response to your original question about tubes (though answered already), it's purely about preference.  There are many HD650/600 owners who swear by tubes who like the smooth "liquid" sound they create, and others who insist the headphone is "liquid enough" and benefits from SS sharpness to liven them up, so it's purely 50/50 preference.   These headphones do respond well to the difference between the two.  My favorite amp with them is the my Schiit Lyr (tube/hybrid) with a collection of nice tubes.  I disliked my Headroom Micro SS (congested mids), moderately accepted the O2 (too neutral, analytical with HD650, IMO.)  But on my Marantz PM6004 (big speaker amp I bought for HE-6) they actually sound quite good, similar to the Lyr tubes.  They take advantage of the differences between amps very well, so it's more about finding the sound you want than "good or bad" types.  It's picky about what you pair it with, but there are valid choices at every price point.  It's not so much about "needs expensive amping" so much as "needs one it likes at a given price."  Obviously, it scales well (both 600 & 650) to expensive amping too, of course!

Is the sound of the HD650 the same for older models and new ones? In other words, have there been any 'Revisions' to the HD650 over the years? I thought I saw a side by side photo of two HD650 that had different physical features... but then again, they were likely HD600 next to the HD650. At the time, I wasn't as familiar with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back