HD 650 + m-audio Delta 1010LT, need amp?
Oct 10, 2010 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Daeronb

New Head-Fier
Hiya, first post!
Title says it all really. I'm thinking of buying the HD 650, which will be my first headphone of this kind. I have a pioneer hdj 1000, which is good for djing, but sucks for producing.
I will be using the HD 650 to produce techno/house tracks, and to make a proper mixdown.
My question is, with the delta 1010 LT as my audio card, do i need an amp also?

Here are the specs of the soundcard:
http://www.piens.be/product/m-audio/delta-1010-lt/nl/019880

cheers!

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 6
Never, ever, ever, ever solely use headphones to do a "proper mix down." That's one of the first things I learnt at my course, and there's a good reason for it. Mixing is meant to be done on a good pair of studio monitors, THEN you can take it to headphones once you have a good sound and do some referencing, as well as on other speakers/cd players.

Even if you were to use headphones (bad idea), I wouldn't be choosing the HD650s as they are not one of the most neutral headphones. For example, you have a bass heavy headphone and get a mix sounding great on it, then you take it to your normal speaker system and the bass will be too low because you've mixed it while listening through bass heavy headphones.

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies so far.

Im not thinking of doing a mixdown solely on my headphones.
However, where i am right now, my mixdowns sound better if i do them on a pair of creative earbuds (30euros) then when i do them on my monitors (event tr6) (and they even translate OK to alot of other systems). This might have to do with room accoustics, i dont know. But me (and my room) are not in a position to treat for acoustics.

I am buying a new pair of monitors this week, because my left monitor has a fault in it and repairing will be as expansive as buying new one.
With that i thought it would be a good idea to get a good pair of headphones to reference my mixdowns with. I then read that the likes of Guetta, Prydz and Tocadisco all use the hd 650 for exactly this same purpose. So i'm curious as to why you guys are advicing me to not buy these cans.

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far.

Im not thinking of doing a mixdown solely on my headphones.
However, where i am right now, my mixdowns sound better if i do them on a pair of creative earbuds (30euros) then when i do them on my monitors (event tr6) (and they even translate OK to alot of other systems). This might have to do with room accoustics, i dont know. But me (and my room) are not in a position to treat for acoustics.

I am buying a new pair of monitors this week, because my left monitor has a fault in it and repairing will be as expansive as buying new one.
With that i thought it would be a good idea to get a good pair of headphones to reference my mixdowns with. I then read that the likes of Guetta, Prydz and Tocadisco all use the hd 650 for exactly this same purpose. So i'm curious as to why you guys are advicing me to not buy these cans.

These cans are power hungry
dt880smile.png
...so if you do decide to buy it...a proper amp is required :p

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 6
So if we're to compare apples to apples, we'd want to know what equipment those pros plug their HD650s into. Who knows? I don't recall reading before now about the HD650 being used for this type of work - which shouldn't mean much. But from having owned it (inadequately amped) and FWIR, I wouldn't consider owning it again unless spending $700+ on upstream equipment in an attempt to get it up to speed, and that's only for personal use. Headphones can sound very different depending on the equipment it's plugged into, and you're wanting to use it for pro work. Lots of luck with that - seriously.

Quote:
I then read that the likes of Guetta, Prydz and Tocadisco all use the hd 650 for exactly this same purpose. So i'm curious as to why you guys are advicing me to not buy these cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back