HD 650 has been degraded from 5.0 tp 4.5 by headroom, why?
Dec 16, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #76 of 175
I think it's important that darthurwells be rebutted every time he makes such a post, so that no newbies get the impression that his system is really the end all be all of headphone sound reproduction.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #77 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
I think it's important that darthurwells be rebutted every time he makes such a post, so that no newbies get the impression that his system is really the end all be all of headphone sound reproduction.

This would make for a really great thread actually - whose rig is the closest to the be-all, end all? I vote one of Bozebutton's rigs, he has quite a number of tasty configs! But the man is very informative and helpful in his posts and never pushes agendas and the like - he helped me tuberoll my Melos and I'm in constant awe of his Grado knowledge and fear of his Daddy Orpheus system. Most of all, he's one of the good guys in person, and it all comes out in the wash when you meet folks at Meets, y'know? That to me is a great Head-fi member, and I hope we can all get along like that, despite having differing views on headphones or rating systems or Members of the Trade, etc.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #78 of 175
No offense, but when did this thread degenerate into bashing a particular members opinions?

I'm not stating that I agree with everything drarthurwells believes regarding the SA5K or about HeadRoom (nor his fear of the use of opamps in the output stage). However, this is an open forum to members and Art is entitled to his opinions (as is Tyll/Headroom).

[cue cheesy violin music]
As I stated before and as many people have reiterated, there is no single best headphone that meets everyones personal tastes and preferences. Thank God, that's what gives HeadFi its diversity and spirited discussions.
[end cheesy violin music]

Btw, has anyone mentioned that Headphone.com is a GREAT resource for a non-Headphoneus Supremus regardless of ratings. I know when I first did my research I used HeadRoom's site extensively.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #79 of 175
I agree, Headroom's rates are a good resource. So are the opinions of everyone on Head-fi. Both should be free to express those opinions of course. I think folks are reacting negatively not to any particular opinion being expressed, but to the manner in which the opinion was expressed. If the vehicle was respectful, the worse that can happen is that everyone respectfully disagrees. If the vehicle is heavy-handed, there is a high possibility of flame wars breaking out, which everyone is eventually sorry for when heads cool (unless you just like flaming in general, which is a whole other ball of wax).

I actually think everyone is saying the same thing here - that everyone should be free to say what they like, and they are also free to listen/read while maintaining their own opinions. Anything else is just human nature busting out, for good or ill.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #80 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
I don't see much a difference between the member claiming the SA5000 is the best headphone under $2000 and HeadRoom's previous "world's best headphone" claim regarding the HD650.

HeadRoom doesn't run around crapping threads with shameless flamebait. Unlike a certain someone, they don't go around posting "your headphone sucks, it's coloured, and you're deaf and your opinion is invalid".

With that said, I notice a certain someone has run away from the last SA5000 auto-fellatio thread, and is now posting the same crap in this thread that he did in the other one. I'm still waiting for a response to the following. Let me refresh your memory a bit.

Back on topic, regrading the 650 and other headphones is the right thing to do. I've seen magazines where they've literally run out of ways to praise new gear, and where the ratings are practically meaningless. I'm sure it's great for advertisers, but it becomes worthless for customers. When something new comes along that's better than everything else, it's time re-evaluate everything and recalibrate the scale.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #81 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Back on topic, regrading the 650 and other headphones is the right thing to do. I've seen magazines where they've literally run out of ways to praise new gear, and where the ratings are practically meaningless. I'm sure it's great for advertisers, but it becomes worthless for customers. When something new comes along that's better than everything else, it's time re-evaluate everything and recalibrate the scale.

I agree totally. have you seen "What? Hi-Fi" lately? Almost everything is a 5-star rating lol! that doesn't help much!

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #82 of 175
Am I the only one who says "Who cares?" I respect Headroom and al that they've done for the community, howver I also don't feel any diminished by the loss of that half a star. Being that it's subjective I don't realy fret abouut it and being that it's subjective, it doesn't really affect how I like my cans.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #83 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Btw, has anyone mentioned that Headphone.com is a GREAT resource for a non-Headphoneus Supremus regardless of ratings. I know when I first did my research I used HeadRoom's site extensively.

Excellent point, and I totally agree. Headroom was there at the very beginning and in no small part helped to create of what appears to be an ever growing demand for the high-end headphone (and related products) market. Just a few years ago, nobody could have imagined how much Head-Fi would have grown, and today we have 30,000+ members, full scale meets sprouting up here there and everywhere, and all sorts of new products (amps especially) that have been inspired by this site, and in turn, by what Headroom did to lay the groundwork.

More to the point, Headroom continues to provide high quality products and outstanding service to its customers, encourages the development of the headphone market niche in the audiophile community, supports our efforts here at Head-Fi, and yes, helps newbies (via their website) to understand what their various options are to put together a system that best suits their individual needs. As Tyll said, the fact that they are human is undeniable, and of course they'll never be able to please everyone with their ratings.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #84 of 175
Oh no! An insignificant clarification on a completely esoteric scale designed to objectively grade a purely subjective concept of the psychological reaction to various sonic equlibrium variations has been made! Woe to the HD-650 owners of the world, as tyll has robbed you of your sonic utopia.

Seriously. How this spawned a 5-page thread is beyond reason. I'm tired of explaining how personal physiological differences impact sonic perception, the headphones still sound fine. The only way to form your own opinions is to look, listen and feel for yourself, with a proper amp and source. Anything else is simply hype, no matter what direction it's in.

Dec 16, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #85 of 175
Seriously folks, HR has lots of nice things to say about cans that are pretty universally like, no surprise there. What I find refreshing is that they have the balls to say that a can sucks when it sucks. One of my favs is the "big and light, but far to bright" description. And even after all that all they are offering is their own impressions of the goods. It's still not a right or wrong judgement on the equipment - just one person's opinion.

And thank the good lord I'll never have to read about that damn bada again. Someone just became to loan member of my ignore list! Ahhhhh, the sweetness that is the ignore feature
biggrin.gif

Nate

Dec 16, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #86 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Am I the only one who says "Who cares?" I respect Headroom and al that they've done for the community, howver I also don't feel any diminished by the loss of that half a star. Being that it's subjective I don't realy fret abouut it and being that it's subjective, it doesn't really affect how I like my cans.

Well I have a confession. The day someone makes a can that "Out-Grados" my HP2s, and I put them on and I agree, and I have to demote my own rig down a half star, is the day I get a bit salty. The fact that Headroom is demoting the HD650 doesn't mean that the can got worse, it's that another can is "better" and the curse begins again - the doubt, the wallet...
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #87 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
With that said, I notice a certain someone has run away from the last SA5000 auto-fellatio thread, and is now posting the same crap in this thread that he did in the other one.

Is it necessary to use the word 'fellatio' in your post? Someone has already mentioned 'whore.' Next thing you know "Head-Fi woodies" will take on a whole new meaning.

Dec 16, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #88 of 175
the posting are starting to repeat now. Some are good and some are not. But even the good ones are cc of previous posting.

Dec 16, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #89 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Well I have a confession. The day someone makes a can that "Out-Grados" my HP2s,

Considering your HP2s aren't very Grado'ish, that shouldn't hard!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back