HD 650 Fans
Sep 17, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #31 of 35
In my experience and IMHO one never has to coax music out of the HD650. No matter how humble the rig the HD650 always deftly delivers music. The coup de grace is of course that it scales extremely well. Throw some money and forethought at a HD650 rig and it makes an assault on the high end without embarrassing itself.

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience and IMHO one never has to coax music out of the HD650. No matter how humble the rig the HD650 always deftly delivers music. The coup de grace is of course that it scales extremely well. Throw some money and forethought at a HD650 rig and it makes an assault on the high end without embarrassing itself.

I guess my point is not only does the 650 make an assault on the high end, it is better than a lot of the high end, therefore is high end.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

in your opinion, how does the HD650 fare against the L3000.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #34 of 35
IMO, HD650 can't replace L3000. They sound very different. HD650 sounds more open, the highs are more pronounced. L3000's bass has the incredible reverb and sounds more realistic, the mid range is neutral and without any 'sweetening', unlike W5000. So overall L3000 is more musical. I am not saying HD650 is bad, on the contrary, it is VERY good. I have HD650 and SA5000 as permanent cans and a bar that all other phones comparing to.

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #35 of 35
Sure, the HD650s scale up tremendously with your front-end and amplification, but if you were to give the same effort and resources to maximize top-of-the-line headphones, the HD650s just cannot catch up. No matter how much money you throw at them, the HD650s will never have the bass impact/extension of the L3000s, or the size and depth of K1000s' soundstage, or the Qualia's detail-retrieval, or the speed of high-end electrostats, when all of these cans are given the same treatment as to maximize their potential.

Having said that, I still think it's the best non-esoteric headphone that doesn't cost an arm and leg to produce good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back