HD 650 amp choices
Feb 25, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #16 of 26
I agree with NotJeffBuckley. HD650 is too much for PA2V2. I have both PA2V2 and X-Can V3. I will never try to use my HD650s with PA2V2. If you have other headphones such as HFI-650 or Grados, PA2V2 is nice. If you really want that I may suggest you to keep it as a portable amp and order another one for home use. Millet Hybrid for $225 is a very nice choice.

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 26
My HD650's seem to work just great with my Melos SHA-1.

Yeah that doesn't really help you very much, so, sorry...

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #19 of 26
My primary listening setup is a pair of 650s driven by a Gilmore Lite with the dedicated power supply. The combination is maybe a little chilly at times, but the separation and detail are amazing. I listen to a lot of ambient music, especially Biosphere, which is pretty cold in its own right. I've found that the GL really emphasizes the "sounds eminating from outside the headphones" phenomena with the 650s. The GL has such a low noisefloor that sounds appear to emanate from this empty wall of blackness. It's a little spooky at first, but I've grown to really enjoy the sound. Both the 650s and the GL are not shy about revealing flaws in other components, so make sure your source is up to the task. My next purchase is going to be a new DAC for this very reason.

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #20 of 26
Micro amp with contributor discount is $270
There's also the hornet and gimore lite in similar price range.
iCute has inexpensive amps also.
I think the micro amp is really synergetic with sennheiser.

skip th eupgrade path and just get the headroom balanced max with max dac andbrass pot.

save a lot of upgratitus grief in the future
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #22 of 26
Glite is amazing for the hd-650s... I also agree I dont enjoy my pa2v2 with my hd-650s. The pa2v2 really shines with my hd-555s though its perfect. I would suggest getting a more powerful amp for your 650s you will not be disapointed.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #23 of 26
I would go for the xcan in either version 2 (2nd hand) or in version 3 form new. these amps work beautifully with the sennheisers sound. When you are used to it and if you have the urge you can upgrade the valves in these also. You can also change capacitors and make up a seperate powersupply from the internet, not that they sound bad as thay are but its the icing on the cake and for the price they are untouchable !

Mar 4, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
Does/has anyone own the Lehmann Black Cube?

I was wondering if I get get any impressions of this amp...yes, yes I know this is out of my initial price range, but if I could dig up a used one that would be grrrrreat.

I have a Lehmann BCL. It is still the best amp in my staple and its sound very neutral, detailed, transparent with HD650, with good bass extension. Ultra quiet, and capable of handling the most demanding audio map with ease. Can't go wrong with it, although the it is not cheap (~ US$900 at current exchange rate).

BTW, BCL is always used as "The" amp to demo HD650 in Germany (where HD 650 is made ?) at various audio shows. This itself say something about Lehmann.

F. Lo

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
I'm looking to possibly get into tubes and have a little change from good ol solid state.

I can confirm that the Lehmann BCL is very good with HD650. I spent a few hours with this combo a few days ago. You should also consider the RP5.1 from Rudistor which is in the same price range. This is a hybrid amp.

http://www.rudistor.com/soundsystems/RP5-en.htm

I haven't heard this amp myself yet, but based on reviews and comments from owners here at head-fi you should be in for a great experience.

http://www.soundstage.com/allinyourh...inyourhead.htm

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back