HD 650 Advice
May 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, the music is the most important part, but by that logic alone, you wouldn't need to upgrade from HD595's either.

Y

Well said Fj. Sometimes the lust for that slight sonic improvement will overshadow even the music. Boards like this have become crack houses where audio manufacturers keep feedin the needs of the audio fiends of the world.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #32 of 37
I have the 650s and bithead.

If you use the bithead to power the 650s you will be disappointed. It is not porwerful enough to drives these cans.

You will really notice it with bass. I would be listening to track that starts out with just a bass line. Sounds alright, on it's own. Then when other instruments and vocals show up that same bass line is 3dB lower with a side of mud.

Hope that puts it into perspective for you.

May 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #33 of 37
Thanks Joelby - it really does put it in perspective. I think the play for me right now is to stay where I am, continue to upgrade the source/files, and if/when I think it's time to upgrade the hardware (amp-wise) I can start thinking about something like the 650s. I'd love to hear that Cadillac Senn sound everyday and maybe I will with a little patience. In the meantime...I'll just enjoy my tunes!

May 13, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 650s and bithead.

If you use the bithead to power the 650s you will be disappointed. It is not porwerful enough to drives these cans.

You will really notice it with bass. I would be listening to track that starts out with just a bass line. Sounds alright, on it's own. Then when other instruments and vocals show up that same bass line is 3dB lower with a side of mud.

Hope that puts it into perspective for you.

Hi Joelby

That's an interesting way to put it.

Could you tell me the track your talking about so I can try it myself?

Thanks

USG

May 13, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #36 of 37
For Laptop & HD650 room-to-room rig I recomend either:
  1. Echo Indigo DJ - for the best portability and convenience.
  2. Corda 3Move - the best portable DAC/AMP I heard myself for HD650.
Total BitHead yields slightly to Echo in terms of overall SQ. I believe this is due to the low-end DAC chip used in TBH. Nevertheless, TBH is pretty listenable with HD650.

And yes, skip all the lesser cans and go straight to HD650.

May 13, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Joelby

That's an interesting way to put it.

Could you tell me the track your talking about so I can try it myself?

Thanks

USG

I can't recall a specific track. Just pick an electro song that starts with just a bass line. It should be very noticeable...

Also, a metal song with some blast beats will probably draw it out. I believe this is where people get the impression that the HD-650 is "slow". I don't think these phones are slow with a proper amp driving them. However, when they are underpowered, slow is a word I would use to describe them with metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back