HD-650, a bitter sweet performer.
Sep 21, 2007 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

shaizada

500+ Head-Fier
Sennheiser HD-650 is a truly unique piece of work.

I have NEVER EVER seen a pair of headphone scale up like these. With every piece of hardware upgrade, be it source, amp, interconnects, power conditioning, these headphones really show you what you are getting or losing with the changes in the system.

I am just amazed.
Having said that, I am in audio heaven with my current setup. Who could have ever thought that this "veiled" headphone could sound like this. The senns can really sing. In my current setup, even a whisper of a "veil" is non existent...finally!

If you have this headphone and are serious about building a system for them, I guarantee that your persistence in your sonic journey will pay off. Please, please please don't give up on them.

They just need a solid chain behind them and they will reward you with auditory bliss.

Having said that, please don't be fooled by the price the HD-650 go for. By the time you start to get into the sweet spot of their potential, they will have your financial boat completely rocked!

Thanks for hearing me out. I'm so in love with my music all over again.
600smile.gif

~Gaurav

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD-650 is a truly unique piece of work.

I have NEVER EVER seen a pair of headphone scale up like these. With every piece of hardware upgrade, be it source, amp, interconnects, power conditioning, these headphones really show you what you are getting or losing with the changes in the system.

I am just amazed.
Having said that, I am in audio heaven with my current setup. Who could have ever thought that this "veiled" headphone could sound like this. The senns can really sing. In my current setup, even a whisper of a "veil" is non existent...finally!

If you have this headphone and are serious about building a system for them, I guarantee that your persistence in your sonic journey will pay off. Please, please please don't give up on them.

They just need a solid chain behind them and they will reward you with auditory bliss.

Having said that, please don't be fooled by the price the HD-650 go for. By the time you start to get into the sweet spot of their potential, they will have your financial boat completely rocked!

Thanks for hearing me out. I'm so in love with my music all over again.
600smile.gif

~Gaurav

x2

This is as it should be.
600smile.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 42
Lol, yeah the 650s are not so cheap. They do invite spending.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 42
You know, I've discovered something. The HD650s require a lot of attention. Undivided attention, really, in order to sound their best. I don't think these were meant to be "sitting at the computer" headphones. Last night, I hooked my HD650s up to my speaker amplifier, laid down on my bed, and went on a wonderful musical journey. Everything was perfect. I would not change a thing about the frequency response, or any other subjective characteristic. This was how music should sound, period.

But when I'm at the computer, they suddenly don't sound as good. Sometimes when I'm in a bad mood, they actually do start to sound veiled like some people say. But not when I hook them up to a better amp and give them my full attention.

For this reason, I'm thinking of buying another pair of SR-60s to use as my "chilling out at the PC" cans. It's a lot easier to enjoy them while splitting your attention between the computer and the music.

And I'll leave the HD650s for those dead serious dedicated listening sessions.

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 42
You might be on to something there Piccolo. Since I've got these HD650s computer listening hasn't been that satisfying. While I'm on my PC the sound is just in the background really and I'm not paying a lot of attention to it. However, when I just sit back and relax on the couch listening to some Norah Jones or something, its so much more enjoyable and easier to appreciate the intimate sound that these headphones can create.

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Headphones: Sennheiser HD-650 / Cardas / Equinox

Gaurav, which replacement cable do you prefer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hooked my HD650s up to my speaker amplifier

Did you connect them directly to the speaker terminals? If so, exactly how did you cable it?

TIA!

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 42
Oh. My speaker amp has a headphone port. It isn't a high-end product, but it is significantly more powerful than my Total Bithead. If the 7:00 position is "off" then as little as 8:30 is ear splitting. Even being an amp skeptic, I am forced to admit I do hear a difference. I actually tried to convince myself that it couldn't be true, but I really do think it is. And it wasn't because I had the amp turned up louder, either. Because it's so powerful, I made sure to keep the level low. In fact, as my ears became more sensitive during the extended listening session, I actually turned it down several times. It still sounded great.

When I had my listening session, it was just me and the music. No computer screen, no surfing Head-Fi, no worrying about anything, even the lights were turned off. It was then that I was really able to hear the HD650s. I simply couldn't complain. They sounded good indeed. But for inattentive computer listening, I'm finding more and more that they just aren't cutting it for me. I need something a little more spectacular sounded to occupy my already heavily occupied senses. I think that when one's other senses are occupied, it definitely takes a toll on your ability to hear properly, especially if you are doing something visual and/or tactile, like reading websites and typing on the computer. When you dedicate yourself to audio only, it is surprising how different things can sound.

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 42
jpelg,

Ever since the Equinox came to be a part of my system, I haven't felt like changing to the Cardas. I guess I prefer the Equinox but the Cardas is no slouch either. I am tempted to hear the Zu Mobius in my setup but there is no urge as I guess I am very satisfied with the Equinox.

Maybe I can borrow the Zu Mobius from someone sometime and see what I am missing if anything.

However, currently my musical world is very entertaining to my ears. It seems that this unique musical presentation that I have stumbled (or built) upon through my system is quite weird...

If I change my mental perspective, I can listen to the whole musical presentation from an overall laid back perspective. Enjoy the culmination of instruments and voices as a whole.

Yet, I can change my mental perspective again and truly peer into the recording in my "analysis" mode. Here I take apart each instrument and voice to see what is lacking or overly present.

That is so weird to me because now its more of a mental switch rather than something my system "forces" upon me.

I absolutely love that. I hope my explanation hasn't confused you.....but this situation sure has me confused. LoL I'm just happy with these new found powers of my system, so I'm not complaining or anything!

~G

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

jpelg,

Ever since the Equinox came to be a part of my system, I haven't felt like changing to the Cardas. I guess I prefer the Equinox but the Cardas is no slouch either. I am tempted to hear the Zu Mobius in my setup but there is no urge as I guess I am very satisfied with the Equinox.

Maybe I can borrow the Zu Mobius from someone sometime and see what I am missing if anything.

However, currently my musical world is very entertaining to my ears. It seems that this unique musical presentation that I have stumbled (or built) upon through my system is quite weird...

If I change my mental perspective, I can listen to the whole musical presentation from an overall laid back perspective. Enjoy the culmination of instruments and voices as a whole.

Yet, I can change my mental perspective again and truly peer into the recording in my "analysis" mode. Here I take apart each instrument and voice to see what is lacking or overly present.

That is so weird to me because now its more of a mental switch rather than something my system "forces" upon me.

I absolutely love that. I hope my explanation hasn't confused you.....but this situation sure has me confused. LoL I'm just happy with these new found powers of my system, so I'm not complaining or anything!

~G

Uhhh...so, the Equinox then?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

jpelg,

I hope you're hanging onto your wallet because Stefan AudioArt is going to release another cable soon called the Endorphin, specifically for HD600 and HD650. Check out Head-Fi Podcast #4 for more.
very_evil_smiley.gif

/kicking myself for not checking out Stefan AudioArt's wares at HeadFest '07
redface.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 42
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I will end up getting the Endorphin cable as well.
If its better than the Equinox, the Equinox goes and the Endorphin stays. If not, the Endorphin goes
smily_headphones1.gif

See that was easy!

~G

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 42
Yes, i also spent alot of attention to the equipment used with the sennheiser.
If the rest of the rig is on the same level, it will shine. The headphone will dissapear and there's only music.

But before i got there, i had to totally mod my amp and take care of the source. It loves good quality equipment. It easally outperforms much more expensive speakers.

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #13 of 42
I agree totally.
My Sennheiser HD650's sound has improved dramatically since I first got them and used them with a Creek OBH-11SE and Harman Kardon CDR-30 cd player.
With the Cambridge 840c or Marantz SA8001/HeadAmp GS-1/Signal Cable Silver Resolution interconnects/Equinox LE replacement cable, the sound has VASTLY IMPROVED, and is unbelievably good!
And this is still using single-ended RCA's.
I cannot imagine how good balanced would be.
The best set of cans I have ever owned, bar none.

Sep 22, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I've discovered something. The HD650s require a lot of attention. Undivided attention, really, in order to sound their best. I don't think these were meant to be "sitting at the computer" headphones. Last night, I hooked my HD650s up to my speaker amplifier, laid down on my bed, and went on a wonderful musical journey. Everything was perfect. I would not change a thing about the frequency response, or any other subjective characteristic. This was how music should sound, period.

But when I'm at the computer, they suddenly don't sound as good. Sometimes when I'm in a bad mood, they actually do start to sound veiled like some people say. But not when I hook them up to a better amp and give them my full attention.

For this reason, I'm thinking of buying another pair of SR-60s to use as my "chilling out at the PC" cans. It's a lot easier to enjoy them while splitting your attention between the computer and the music.

And I'll leave the HD650s for those dead serious dedicated listening sessions.

I could not agree more. HD650 is definetly not for casual listening. They are more of a intellectual performer that you have to keep your ears constantly locked onto or you will lose the message. When exploring the wastness of the net i usually prefer my K340 that just let you into the world of music without big fuss.

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #15 of 42
I also own this amazing headphone. The only problem I've got is it's squeezing my head while listening.

Before fully acquired of this HD650, I just borrrowed it from my friend to test with my set up for a number of time. Honestly, it's not the kind of headphone that easily goes well with various genres and set-up (to me). But I just could not resist buying this headphone in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back