HD-650 $320 vs. Grado SR-60 $69
Feb 25, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #31 of 39
I dont see how Grado is a DIY, hobby operation. Just because they are a smaller company doesn't mean that they aren't legit. You don't need a Ph.D to make a good product and/or run a good business.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont see how Grado is a DIY, hobby operation. Just because they are a smaller company doesn't mean that they aren't legit. You don't need a Ph.D to make a good product and/or run a good business.

I will state again, as I always seem to have to remind, these are my opinions, and I will rarely ever declare anything on these forums as fact.

To me Grado and with John Grado's knowledge, training or lack of, will be a DIY project at a macro level.

And if people like the "Grado Sound" I'm not going to flame them for it, and never have. Always have said and will say it again, how someone enjoys their music is their business and that's what's important, enjoying the music.

But OP asked for an opinion between the SR-60 and the HD650. Easy, HD650 being the more neutral sounding headphone, and with it's long term value as he upgrades his setup.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough. I guess Microsoft is a DIY hobby operation also. Last I heard, Bill Gates never got his Ph.D either.

Nope I definitely would not consider Microsoft a DIY project. Legitimate corporation with incredible impact in the 21st century. They are not creating and developing products in a shed.

Seriously get over it, not everyone likes or has respect for Grado.

And Bill Gates is one of the coolest people I have been following recently, his philanthropic ambitions and accomplishments are incredible. I am awestruck by his generosity. BTW he did receive honorary doctorate by Harvard for his accomplishments, pretty sweet, and numerous others.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #36 of 39
Lets all keep in mind that mbd2884 has some serious 'radical' opinions about some stuff, some stuff I truly disagree with. However he is in his full right to express his opinion in any way he likes, the same as everybody else. I know mbd doesn't need anyone to stand up for him, because he is more than capable of doing this for himself. I'm just trying to put my point across, that even if you don't agree with him/her, they still are allowed to say it. If mbd2884 thinks Sennheiser is more capable of making the better headphones, well he is right, they made the Orpheus. However the priorities in current markets lie not in the same as ours. Think (Sony R10, Sennheiser Orpheus, Grado HP1000, AKG K1000), the most neutral cans aren't in production anymore. If the HD650 or a Grado presents the sound more natural, is actually a personal thing, and has alot to do with the perception of sound.

Cheers!

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #37 of 39
Attack the message, not the messenger. And "only an idiot would say x..." doesn't count.

My message: look at audio-gd and their Compass: they're no $10mm company but they produce some excellent equipment.

Could we all just put on our headphones, click on our favorite .flac file, and chill out?

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #38 of 39
mbd2884 is a stupid little boy.

As another posted said I'd bet the DIY'ers here who make portable headphone amps have a near similar layout. We also run a small business in electronics and virtually identical. No multi-million pound machinery. Grand father used to build amplifiers in a garden shed and greenhouse.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #39 of 39
I got to leave something to look forward to but, I see the HD-650 is just a matter of plugging in (and paying for) a balanced cable with two XLR plugs. I'll search the forum but am open to suggestions. And, which balanced amp... guess it will cost more than the Compass (hell the XLR cable will)... are these balanced amps pure amp and I still use a separate DAC? I mean at what point in the chain do you need 5 or 6 wires not 3, do you need to go balanced starting with the DAC? Do I need to drive the DAC with 2 separate USB cables and 2 separate .flac files (joke)?

Could I just take the pre-amp output of the compass and run it through two monoblock T-amps, I guess each one just powering a single driver makes for low impedence? Though maybe its not that easy not sure where to put the 3rd pin common ground on the putative monoblocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back