HD-650 $320 vs. Grado SR-60 $69
Feb 25, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #16 of 39
There are better grado's then the SR-60. This is no fair comparison at all.

Also beware of comments like: " Easy, the HD650. HD650 will let you hear what the musician intended you to hear, it will play back the recording. SR-60 is what John Grado thinks you should hear."

This is just one mans opinion. And he has full right to express his opinion, however its not 'the truth', its just that, his opinion. You will find there are plenty of member who didn't like the HD650 at all, and bought some good Grado's.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #17 of 39
^I was going to post basically that. No, this isn't a fair comparison, low end versus former high-end. And no one would have Grados if they truly sucked so it's personal preference. If you like the 'Grado sound' after having experienced other quality audio get a better Grado, if you want to try a different type of sound (almost complete opposite actually - Sennheisers tend to be 'dark,' less detailed, bass heavy, some say 'veiled') get a Sennheiser. Just realize that SR60 vs HD650 is a very uneven comparison.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #18 of 39
Ultimately, it depends. If you are going unamped. the Grado would be better. Amped, it depends on the sound quality you are seeking. Also, I wouldn't put up the 650 in comparison with the Grado SR-60. More likely either the 225 or the 325i, which are around the same price bracket ($200 for the 225 and around $300 for the 325i).

Also, the two headphones have been reported to have vastly different sound signatures. I've never tried a Grado and only have an HD600, which the 650s reportedly don't sound all that different from (a bit darker and bassier). Grado headphones are reported to be a lot more energetic, brighter and upfront, but the highs can get piercing for some. The Senns are more 'balanced' but have a darker, more laid back sound. For some, it can sound slow and muddy. On the other hand, the Grados can sound unbearably bright. If you like your current Grado, I'd go for another higher model of Grado unless you just want a completely different signature.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #19 of 39
does the live cashback work with JR's discounted price? I've almost going to pull the trigger but I've been wondering if this is true. 300 dollars for a new hd 650 is pretty sweet.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toe Tag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mind waiting 60 days for the money, but how long until it shows up as pending in my Live account which still shows all zeros? In the meantime, I can't resist pointing out that the statement "A: You can use your PayPal account to pay for your purchases from eBay. In other cases, we can't guarantee that your purchase will be reported to us correctly if you use an alternative payment method. We're always looking to improve our service and will continue to work to support other alternative payment methods in the future." is classic Microsoft. FUD (sowing Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) combined with the lie that they are working to support more payment methods in the future. Yeah, they're working hard to support Google Checkout I'm sure. Its a little annoying that the rebate hasn't showed up on my Live! account yet, when JR features the Google Checkout payment option so clearly, and the order has now shipped, and JR knows I bought it regardless of payment method right? Anyway its only $20 so I'm not losing any sleep. And I'm sure Gates and Ballmer are not losing any sleep over the above business practice which seem completely ingrained in their corporate culture.

OK, back to the music. Sounds like I'm in for a real treat with an HD650 hooked up to a Compass!

It takes a day or two to show up. I worried about that a lot too when I used live cashback for the first time... But think about this this way, $320 (the price w/o cashback) is still a very good deal, or probably the current best deal, for a brand new HD650 from an authorized dealer. I will get them immediately if my $222.19 IE8 deal do not go through (see the IE8 Apreciation thread on the other board)!

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #21 of 39
You can get them for $350 from HeadRoom, my plan if I were to get the HD650 now. Slightly more money than J R, but tons more support.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easy, the HD650. HD650 will let you hear what the musician intended you to hear, it will play back the recording. SR-60 is what John Grado thinks you should hear.

Now this is just silly.

I'd say the SR-60 might be better to buy new, because it's not as much of an investment, and if you want to scale up, you can always sell it at relatively minimal loss.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #23 of 39
650 hands down. Check audiogon or the for sale threads here, you can easily find 650s going for sub $270 used, and a few new for $300.
I've heard Grados and I can't stand them. They look great, and build quality is nice, but IMHO they sound way too energetic. If you listened to rock all day they would be nice to have.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now this is just silly.

I'd say the SR-60 might be better to buy new, because it's not as much of an investment, and if you want to scale up, you can always sell it at relatively minimal loss.

What was sillly? That the HD650 are more neutral will reflect the recording better?

Or that SR-60 are what John Grado wants you to hear? He's a DIY, hobby guy selling his creations for a profit... he learned from his Uncle, who also had no formal training to be an audio/sound engineer. This is all in John Grado's bio. You can even it read it in the massive Interview with John Grado thread. He's no Florian Koenig, Ph.D. But he does have incredible marketing skills, as demonstrated on these forums.

I don't see why my post was silly. There is a reason why Grado cans has the reputation of being colored. Heck they even label it as the "Grado Sound"

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

What was sillly? That the HD650 are more neutral will reflect the recording better?

Or that SR-60 are what John Grado wants you to hear? He's a DIY, hobby guy selling his creations for a profit... he learned from his Uncle, who also had no formal training to be an audio/sound engineer. This is all in John Grado's bio. You can even it read it in the massive Interview with John Grado thread. He's no Florian Koenig, Ph.D. But he does have incredible marketing skills, as demonstrated on these forums.

I don't see why my post was silly. There is a reason why Grado cans has the reputation of being colored. Heck they even label it as the "Grado Sound"

the funniest thing is, his uncle produced probably the most neutral phones of all time with his ears. Besides why do you need a PhD to know what good sound is? There's absolutely nothing wrong with color, in fact, I prefer a little color in my music. Purely neutral is just boring.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

What do you think when Sennheiser admited that HD650 is not neutral? Do you think Sennheiser aren't selling their headphones for profit?

John is a DIY guy by your definition? with 17 employees only but with sales of $10 000 000/year I wouldn't call John a DIY guy.

Ultrasone ?
wink.gif

yeah, Ph.D., you know who caused the Wall Street mess? just read carefully any financial engineering textbooks and you'll find out why (but only when if you're capable to do so
wink.gif
)

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #27 of 39
@ cankin, if you're gonna tear someone down, at least have mastery of the language to do so correctly
wink.gif

@ thread, if you don't have something nice to say about someone's opinion, say it politely, no need for a flame-war

honestly, neither of the hp's is "exactly neutral", however the HD 650 is likely to be regarded as more resolving or accurate, although a Grado of the same calibre (RS-2 or RS-1) will be regarded as equally accurate/resolving, the SR-60 is quite colored and doesn't stack up very well (in a direct comparison btwn the two, and varoius other high end 'phones (such as K701's), the SR-60 is probably the least detailed, although it still sounds good) this is all in my experience, mind you, so your ymmv

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ cankin, if you're gonna tear someone down, at least have mastery of the language to do so correctly
wink.gif

I'm sorry that I didn't take care of those who're incompetent to understand

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #29 of 39
Sweet, I'm incompetent and unable to understand.

And I learned that Ph.D audio engineers caused the Wall Street market crash. Or maybe, by your logic, because some Ph.D accredited executives in financial firms "may" have caused the Wall Street market crash, Florian Koenig, Ph.D, doctorate degree means nothing. Sweet, please email Koenig of your opinion of his doctoral degree.

And my definition of a DIY, well I'll leave that as is, with your brilliant comprehension skills I'm sure you must know.

And your mastery over comprehension deciphered my MORE neutral as saying the HD650 are the definition of neutral.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #30 of 39
Pointless post. Delete me please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back