HD 600 vs. 650?
Jul 7, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #46 of 54
Hey, I do the same thing!

I can't get rid of my HD650 either, probably because:

1) It has a higher number than the HD600.

2) It's a flagship, whatever that is.

3) Sennheiser told me that it's better than the HD600.

4) Lots of people here keep saying that it's better.

5) I keep hearing that if you tie the HD650 to a lightpole and beat it, or recable it with this, or modify it with that, or balance it or whatever, that it gets, maybe, better than the HD600, and someday I may want to try these things.

But then I try it against the HD600, and it always loses.

Except for one Chet Baker cd, "Baby Breeze" 1964/65, which inexplicably sounds better with the 650............

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I do the same thing!

I can't get rid of my HD650 either, probably because:

1) It has a higher number than the HD600.

2) It's a flagship, whatever that is.

3) Sennheiser told me that it's better than the HD600.

4) Lots of people here keep saying that it's better.

5) I keep hearing that if you tie the HD650 to a lightpole and beat it, or recable it with this, or modify it with that, or balance it or whatever, that it gets, maybe, better than the HD600, and someday I may want to try these things.

But then I try it against the HD600, and it always loses.

Except for one Chet Baker cd, "Baby Breeze" 1964/65, which inexplicably sounds better with the 650............

LOL
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #48 of 54
I tried the HD650 at a nice audio store in Portland over the weekend. The salesperson said repeatably that the pair had JUST been put on display and had about 3 hours of use, so I shouldn't be surprised that the sound might be a little...harsh or odd. Well, it sounded pretty great. Maybe the trick is to use the phones only during the burn-in period. So...just purchase 6 or so pair a year
rolleyes.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #50 of 54
I have another question.

I have the sen. HD485, and the reason I am upgrading is due to the loose bass overshadowing the highs, would this happen on the 650's?

I know the 485's are know for having a large bass quantity, but still. =S

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBlanchard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have another question.

I have the sen. HD485, and the reason I am upgrading is due to the loose bass overshadowing the highs, would this happen on the 650's?

Without a high-class source and amp, the 650 may sound even more unbalanced than your current 485.

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #52 of 54
Quote:

Why the hard-on for Sennheiser? If you want something that sounds great unamped, there are many choices that are arguably better.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really depends on how u like ur music? Do you like it colored? or more neutral?

Or, alternatively, do you really want to hear how crappy many of your CDs sound, or would you rather they were made easier to listen to?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #54 of 54
Quote:

I have another question.

It won't overshadow the highs, but the lows will definitely chime in when the highs are played. Some might call that coloring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back