HD 600 vs. 650?
Jul 5, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #33 of 54
Unamped they are both pretty lifeless. Unamped the HD650 sound muddy and the HD600 dull.
Amped to the max the HD650 are better IMO. But it would be a close call single ended and mostly based on personal taste. Balanced the HD650 are in the top league I think.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unamped they are both pretty lifeless. Unamped the HD650 sound muddy and the HD600 dull.

O_o care to elaborate?

To TC: Both headphones will benefit greatly from amps. They also scale very well to the rig.
If you ask me, my thoughts on them won't be helpful. I've practically had about 10 minutes w/ HD600 straight out of iPod, yet about 1.5 hours with balanced HD650 through RSA B-52's...

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #35 of 54
Unamped, it will not matter. Otherwise, it completely depends on the amp. Far be it from me to opine on which sounds better when. Suffice to say I use both, and their cousin, the HE60.

One thing to note - like any other phones, you cannot move from a signature (600 or 650) to the other and instantly prefer the one to which you are not most used to. There is a reacclimation, or acceptance for what each does better, and what it does less well. That is simply not an instantaneous process, so it can't be done in an hour or two, IMHO.

Note I was formerly in the '600 is better' camp - now, I am not so sure.

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #36 of 54
well, the 650's are definitely better than the 600's, by about 50. its a tough call
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #37 of 54
Well, the HD600 used to be the flagship and there's quite a number who still prefers it to the HD650. Why don't you try it out? For me, the HD650 sounded a tad 'too' bassy.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unamped, it will not matter. Otherwise, it completely depends on the amp. Far be it from me to opine on which sounds better when. Suffice to say I use both, and their cousin, the HE60.

One thing to note - like any other phones, you cannot move from a signature (600 or 650) to the other and instantly prefer the one to which you are not most used to. There is a reacclimation, or acceptance for what each does better, and what it does less well. That is simply not an instantaneous process, so it can't be done in an hour or two, IMHO.

Note I was formerly in the '600 is better' camp - now, I am not so sure.

I am with you. I like them both and can appreciate them both. Different flavor, different day. Mint Chocolate Chip / Cookies 'n Cream.. love them both

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #40 of 54
As an electronica fan and as someone who bypassed the hd600 to get the hd650 on no less than three occasions, only to now end up with the hd600, I'd have to say I completely disagree that the 650 is the better phone for electronica.

To me the hd600 sounds brighter, faster, more detailed and more fun, and less smooth which makes it to my ears far better suited for most electronica.

In actual fact I'd have to say that in the context of my system the 600 is considerably better, full stop. Of course it may be possible to make the 650 outperform it, but considering the level of expense required to do so, not to mention the performance I am currently getting from the 600 without the expense, I see no reason to do so.

I would advise anyone who thinks the 650 must be better simply because its a higher model should think very carefully about it.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As an electronica fan and as someone who bypassed the hd600 to get the hd650 on no less than three occasions, only to now end up with the hd600, I'd have to say I completely disagree that the 650 is the better phone for electronica.

To me the hd600 sounds brighter, faster, more detailed and more fun, and less smooth which makes it to my ears far better suited for most electronica.

In actual fact I'd have to say that in the context of my system the 600 is considerably better, full stop. Of course it may be possible to make the 650 outperform it, but considering the level of expense required to do so, not to mention the performance I am currently getting from the 600 without the expense, I see no reason to do so.

I would advise anyone who thinks the 650 must be better simply because its a higher model should think very carefully about it.

Absolutely... "nuff said."

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #43 of 54
Wow,

"I would advise anyone who thinks the 650 must be better simply because its a higher model should think very carefully about it."

Well said, pbirkett. And Gradofan.

I feel the same way.

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #44 of 54
I traded with Blutarsky for his HD650 and 6 foot APS V3 cable at the end of February. After comparing the HD600 and HD650 for a month, I decided to keep the HD600 and sell the HD650. I tried them Balanced and Single Ended and the HD600 were exactly as pbirkett says (and as Gradofan2 and greggf said x2), I will say x3.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #45 of 54
I still keep my 650 simply as some kind of benchmark as it is often used to compare with other cans.

So every time when I see a thread discussing 650/600, I fire up my systems and plug both of them in and start comparison
wink.gif
and every time 600 wins in terms of overall quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back