HD 598's or AKG K 550's...given my situation I can't decide..
Sep 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Kyle11690

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Here is my situation....

I am a college student living in a duplex with 3 up top with me and two downstairs. There is usually a decent amount of noise in the house with this situation. Which is why I'm a little hesitant to get open cans, but I have never had them, so I don't know if outside noise will affect the experience, and if I will have to turn them way up to drown out outside noise. (This might be a problem if its so loud that people can hear them through my door ect ect.)

I am upgrading from the Sennheiser PXC 450's.

I watch a lot of movies and play some FPS and MMORPG's. As far as music, I listen to all genre's. I like a some bass, but not too overpowering.

I am in a battle between these two headphones. I can't decide!!!!

On one hand, I know open cans have a tendency to be better overall, but I'm afraid the 598's won't have enough bass to satisfy my needs. (I hear they are punchy but not very strong if you enjoy a little boom)

...and if that's the case, Is there a portable AMP out there in the $75-$100 dollar range that would increase the bass up to the level of the AKG K 550's? I want to try open cans, but given my situation I don't know what the smarter decision is..

So given my situation. And spending limit of around $275-300 what would you do????

Any suggestions would be of 10000x help!

-Kyle

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
I am a college student living in a duplex with 3 up top with me and two downstairs. There is usually a decent amount of noise in the house with this situation. Which is why I'm a little hesitant to get open cans, but I have never had them, so I don't know if outside noise will affect the experience, and if I will have to turn them way up to drown out outside noise. (This might be a problem if its so loud that people can hear them through my door ect ect.)
I am upgrading from the Sennheiser PXC 450's.
I watch a lot of movies and play some FPS and MMORPG's. As far as music, I listen to all genre's. I like a some bass, but not too overpowering.
I am in a battle between these two headphones. I can't decide!!!!
On one hand, I know open cans have a tendency to be better overall, but I'm afraid the 598's won't have enough bass to satisfy my needs. (I hear they are punchy but not very strong if you enjoy a little boom)
...and if that's the case, Is there a portable AMP out there in the $75-$100 dollar range that would increase the bass up to the level of the AKG K 550's? I want to try open cans, but given my situation I don't know what the smarter decision is..
So given my situation. And spending limit of around $275-300 what would you do????
Any suggestions would be of 10000x help!

What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into? A computer? xBox? PS3?
If computer, does have an add-on sound card?

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into? A computer? xBox? PS3?
If computer, does have an add-on sound card?

It will be plugged in via my computers Motherboard (using on-board Sound). I have yet to purchase a sound card.And I will also be plugging it into my ipod.

I am concerned about not having a perfectly quite environment, and that sound will leak into the 598's, as I cannot predict when my roommates will play their speakers or the Sound system downstairs will vibrate somewhat

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 11
Open headphones are definitely not for you plus until you get a decient sound card any headphones will sound like crap for you so you will not be able judge them properly cause 'garbage in , garbage out' Yes you can get E11 with bass boost but it will not be able to improve sound quality it will just amplify (make louder)whatever came in

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
What about IEMs? 

Not a big fan.

Quote:
Closed but i wouldnt go for the K550 personally, to enjoy open cans you really need a very quiet enviroment.

Wouldn't or would go for the K550's? Confusing me here lol.
Quote:
I don't think open cans will leak so much that it will bother your roommates

unless you're talking about their noise bothering your listening experience?

I mean't noise or bass bothering my experience.

Quote:
Open headphones are definitely not for you plus until you get a decient sound card any headphones will sound like crap for you so you will not be able judge them properly cause 'garbage in , garbage out' Yes you can get E11 with bass boost but it will not be able to improve sound quality it will just amplify (make louder)whatever came in

What would you suggest then? Go for the AKG 550's or settle for the SRH 840's maybe? I actually listened to a pair of Open HD 439's today, I don't know how the bass is relative to the 598's but it just wasn't even close to the level I wanted. I don't like Huge excessive amounts of bass but I like enough so that when I listen to Dubstep or Hip-hop it sounds decent. BTW I can pick up the K 550's for $275.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 11
The more and more I keep reading reviews...... I am getting an overload of information here.....some say the 598's lack substantially in bass for electronic...some say they don't.....some say the AKG K 550's suck for gaming and movies and don't have that much bass....GAH!!!! I wish there was a place to test Cans!!!!!

I guess what I am looking for is just a well rounded set of cans. Ones that aren't significantly geared toward any genre of music, but have enough bass for electronic/hip-hop to sound pretty good. Decent for gaming experiences and movies as well. I don't necessarily need isolation but it would be nice. Id rather not have to spend $100+ on an amp just to get decent sound either. The only cans ive used are the Denon D1001's and the Senn PXC 450's. The denon's didn't have enough bass for me. The PXC 450's though I know aren't really audiophile, did have enough bass for my needs. Portability is not completely necessary, but if they are portable that is a plus.

Any suggestions on these two sets of cans or new suggestions would be of great help!

-Kyle

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
The more and more I keep reading reviews...... I am getting an overload of information here.....some say the 598's lack substantially in bass for electronic...some say they don't.....some say the AKG K 550's suck for gaming and movies and don't have that much bass....GAH!!!! I wish there was a place to test Cans!!!!!

I guess what I am looking for is just a well rounded set of cans. Ones that aren't significantly geared toward any genre of music, but have enough bass for electronic/hip-hop to sound pretty good. Decent for gaming experiences and movies as well. I don't necessarily need isolation but it would be nice. Id rather not have to spend $100+ on an amp just to get decent sound either. The only cans ive used are the Denon D1001's and the Senn PXC 450's. The denon's didn't have enough bass for me. The PXC 450's though I know aren't really audiophile, did have enough bass for my needs. Portability is not completely necessary, but if they are portable that is a plus.

Any suggestions on these two sets of cans or new suggestions would be of great help!

-Kyle

I've heard the Denon AH-D1100 come with more bass then the AH-D1001.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back