Hd 595 Bass
Apr 24, 2010 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Teerdz

100+ Head-Fier
Got them for almost 4 months now. And I must say. There is not much bass. Not a bit punchy on places where it should be. And sometimes totally absent.

I must have played them in for over 200 hours now. Anyone experiencing this?

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 16
Yes. Thats why I bought an external eq for the HD 595. Take a look on my signature.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 16
what are you listening from?
the 595 from, say, an ipod, is bass anemic.

with just a portable amp added to the mix, it comes out quite a bit.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 16
this is the main reason I never tried a Sennheiser 500 series headphone in my entire life, lol.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are you listening from?
the 595 from, say, an ipod, is bass anemic.

with just a portable amp added to the mix, it comes out quite a bit.

Sorry to disagree with you, but I am currently driving my HD595 with an Ibasso P3+ portable amp and I have not been able to notice any significant change from it. IMO, I think the HD595 does not have any gain from an amplifier so I think you should buy an equalizer if you want to increase the bass.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 16
They need a good source and amp to bring out the bass. An amped iPod just won't cut it, nor will the headphone socket of a CD player.

Having said that, the bass is more refined than "in-your-face" and if you're a bit of a basshead you might find Sennheisers generally lacking.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
595 is not known for its bass.

Time to try some Beyer 880/990, maybe?

I still consider 880 to be a bit bass light, 990 on the other hand would be the true upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 16
What headphones are you comparing too? I think my HD595's have pretty good bass. Punchy and smooth. Thats coming out of a nuforce HDP. But the bass is still solid out of an iPhone.......If you are reporting "totally absent" bass, I would say something might be wrong with your headphones.

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 16
595's have a decent "quality" of bass but impact is pretty lacking. I felt that my bass lite HD600's had both better impact and bass quality but still weren't even close to satisfying my bass cravings. Maybe try the HD650's and if those aren't bassy enough for you then forget the sennheiser headphone line period as they won't be able to help you in that area.

I've tried an external amp for the HD595's and it didn't do too much for it. The only time an amp for the HD595's would do something is if you have an really underpowered portable source that needs some volume boosting. Other than that there isn't really any significant gain with using an amp on a HD595. I'm sure there are some that will swear that it helps the HD595's but that's perhaps just trying to justify the fact that they spent over $100+ on an amp that didn't do anything =)

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 16
you may give a try to the HD650, but I also found them lacking in bass for me, they DO have a very good deep bass notes production,but not that mid bass hump and punch i am looking for (and also most of people) usually.
I use my HD650 when i am in a neutral/balanced mood.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #12 of 16
The bass will definitely fill out more with a quality amp if you're running it straight off an Ipod - but it will never approach the quality or quantity of the HD650 when plugged into said quality amp. If HD650 is not enough then Denons need to be considered.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 16
I think the bass on the HD 595s are OK. I definitely see how someone can be dissatisfied with the impact of the bass but I think the quality of the bass is tight and accurate. I enjoy the HD 595s while listening to jazz and acoustic music. Bass while listening to Bill Evans Trio is very satisfying.

I agree with everyone that said you need a good headphone amp though. I am using a MacBook to Zero as a DAC and then a Little Country III as an amp. You definitely need clean power to get the most out of this headphone.

The bass on my Grado RS2i delivers more impact and is even more accurate but the HD 595s aren't that bad. I don't know why they get so much flack on this forum.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to disagree with you, but I am currently driving my HD595 with an Ibasso P3+ portable amp and I have not been able to notice any significant change from it. IMO, I think the HD595 does not have any gain from an amplifier so I think you should buy an equalizer if you want to increase the bass.

I disagree about the part where the HD595's don't gain from an amplifier. I haven't had them for several years but the increase in soundstage and separation were very noticeable when paired with my old Indigo DJ and Headroom Micro (2006, desktop module) setup.

However, I do agree an amp might not fix the bass problem. It depends on the kind of bass the OP wants. I don't remember much about punchiness on the HD595... I think it could go either way, EQ or hardware fix...

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 16
IMO amp can definitely refine the sound a little,but not add further bass to the sound...unless it is a bassy sounding amp. the HD595 are very efficient and sound excellent straight from a portable.
if you want you can try to EQ them a little, but if you want to stay "pure" the other possibility is getting another more bassy headphone.
don't struggle with the HD595 too much,if you don't like the sound get another which will make you happpier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back