HD 558 OR M50 for casual use
Jun 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tobiman

New Head-Fier
Hi, I currently own a PC - 350 for gaming and I tend to use it for other stuff like listening to music and watching videos. The sound clarity is decent but the bass sucks so I've decided to get something that is better overall and more inclined towards listening to music genres such as hip hop, pop, and R & B.
I've done some research and most people with similar preferences tend to be in favor of the M50s but I also have my eyes on the HD558. Given my music preferences, which do you think is better? I'm not an audiophile but I can appreciate a good pair of headphones when I see one. 

your response is highly appreciated.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 11
Outdoors: M50, easily.
Indoors: I'm not sure, I've never tried the 558s. But from their description from reviews, HD558s may lack the energy that you might like in rock music.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Hi, I currently own a PC - 350 for gaming and I tend to use it for other stuff like listening to music and watching videos. The sound clarity is decent but the bass sucks so I've decided to get something that is better overall and more inclined towards listening to music genres such as hip hop, pop, and R & B.
I've done some research and most people with similar preferences tend to be in favor of the M50s but I also have my eyes on the HD558. Given my music preferences, which do you think is better? I'm not an audiophile but I can appreciate a good pair of headphones when I see one. 

your response is highly appreciated.

Might help to know what source(s) your plugging your headphones into?

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 11
Get the 598 if you are OK with an open can (it leaks) and want a good all-arrounder for music, gaming and movies--that covers all the frequencies well and provides an excellent sound stage.

Get the M50 if you want big bass and can live with recessed mids.  Pick it up if you plan to use it on the move.  Get it if you want to save about $100 (based on US prices).

In either case an affordable amp will increase you enjoyment of what each has to offer.

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
My laptop with beats audio. I may consider getting  a cheap amp, if it's worth it.

First off your using 150-Ohm headphones (PC350) with a headphone jack that is expecting to see headphones in the 32-Ohm to 60-Ohm range.
Poor bass can be one sign of underpowered headphones.
Just getting something like the Fiio E11 ($65) portable headphone amplifier might add some decent improvement to the PC350.
On eBay they sell an AC powered headphone amplifier for under $70, SMSL SAP-100
Try plugging your headphone into other things, like an A/V receiver, or a computer with a good sound card with a built in amplifier.
you might be able to hear the difference compared to your laptop.

The Sennheiser HD558 headphones are only 50-ohm, so I'm guessing they would sound better plugged straight into your laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back