hd 555, 580, or 595
Jun 19, 2006 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sghod1212

Head-Fier
which one? the only headphones i have right now are the eh150's. these three fit my new budget of $150 and seem to be great. i'm going to play mostly rock and i don't have an amp except for a cmoy, but i will be building some other amps soon. i don't think i can get a high quality pre-made amp for a while (next summer is soonest possibility). so which one will sound the best without an amp?

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 14
HD595.

I've listened to classical music, alternative rock, and many others and I've compare my HD595 to various cans including DR150 (months), HD650 (hours), K701 (minutes), and DT990(2006) (minutes).

My impression is that the HD595 might be the best sound I can get out of my iPod nano without a portable amp. Actually, even with amplification, I feel the HD595 is only inferior to HD650.

These are my PERSONAL feelings of course.

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 14
If you're listening to rock and you've got your heart set on one of these three, I'd say the HD-595. IMO the cmoy will drive the HD-580 fairly well but it's not as good for rock.
If you want a recommendation for anything in that price range and comfort's not an issue, I'd go with the MS1 or I'd really recommend stretching the budget and getting the SR-225s.
The 595 is a better all around headphone, but the 225 just rocks with rock.

Jun 19, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 14
I have owned the HD-595s, 555s and 600s (not the 580s. unfortunately) and none of them really lit up my ears as much as the 555s. All of them are excellent, but the 555s had a sweet, ambient nature that really made for enjoyable listening. I read somewhere that they were designed for surround sound DVD listening, and they are spatially entrancing with music as well.

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyshedd
I have owned the HD-595s, 555s and 600s (not the 580s. unfortunately) and none of them really lit up my ears as much as the 555s. All of them are excellent, but the 555s had a sweet, ambient nature that really made for enjoyable listening. I read somewhere that they were designed for surround sound DVD listening, and they are spatially entrancing with music as well.

I'd have to disagree with you on that. I've never heard the 600, but even I can safely say that they will sound better than the 555. As a owner of the 595 who almost exchanged it for the 555, I can say that the 595 sounds noticeably better. Everything that the 555 lacks, the 595 picks up. The male vocals sound much better and natural and mids on the 555 aren't as airy. I'm not saying the 555 isn't good, it is, just not as good as the 595 and probably not the 600. Infact, some people will say even the 600 sounds better than the 595, albeit in a different way, but still.

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 14
I've never heard the 555, 580 or even a headphone amp for that matter but the HD 595 has been divine enlightenment. They are really suitable for any genre although I find that they actually suit electronica-typ music best. Nevertheless you won't be dissapointed listening to rock through these.

Just a word of caution: these are very neutral sounding (flat response) and as such nothing is exaggerated in order to artifically enhance the presentation of music. So it may come as a dissapointment when you first put them on, especially if you've been exposed to bass heavy audio stuff i.e sony fontopias
eggosmile.gif
. But persevere and you'll realise what audio is supposed to sound like.

So yeah man, just get the 595's because they're 50ohms whereas the 580 are higher impedance and more difficult to drive
icon10.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 14
if you consider getting better source or amp in the near future, get the 580!

otherwise go for 555/595, they won't drag you further into setup upgrade maddness.

Jul 9, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 14
I own the HD 600 and the HD 595. I purchased the latter first but no longer listen to it. My references to the HD 600 should apply to the HD 580.

The HD 595 have more treble and a more forward midrange but I find the HD 600 to be more involving. They have better bass extension and quantity, more body, better instrument separation, more detail and a wider soundstage than the HD 595.

There are areas in which the HD 595 performs better than the HD 600 in hard rock music, and vice versa. On the HD 595 the guitars have more crunch. Percussion on the HD 600 has more authority as well as what I perceive to be more accurate timbre of the drums. Hard rock doesn't dominate my music listening so I can live with the HD 600's supposed deficiency in that area.

I don't know. I prefer the HD 600 but the HD 595 certainly are a good headphone. The sound signatures are so different that you'd really have to make the decision based on what the majority of your music listening time is dedicated to.

Add. I see just now that you said you listen to mostly rock so maybe the HD 595 would be the better choice.

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyshedd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can see why someone can like the 555s more than the 595. If one just wants a bouncier midbass, the 555s have a little more. They sound very close to each other but the 595s are just more open, dynamic, and refined than the 555s. I was a little bored with the 580s before cause they lacked punch for new wave music back when I was listening to them in the 90s. I was using a headroom little more power, the one with the power supply upgrade. My grado sr80s and sr60s were my fun cans then. Hmm If I could quickly fix these old 580s for a comparison today, I would love it. Maybe someone here from the Philippines knows a quick solution to my dillema.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #12 of 14
The HD580 is capable of greatness, while the HD5x5 series are only capable of goodness. Goodness may be more comfortable, convenient, efficient, and useful than greatness, but nevertheless it is not greatness.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the HD 600 and the HD 595. I purchased the latter first but no longer listen to it. My references to the HD 600 should apply to the HD 580.

The HD 595 have more treble and a more forward midrange but I find the HD 600 to be more involving. They have better bass extension and quantity, more body, better instrument separation, more detail and a wider soundstage than the HD 595.

There are areas in which the HD 595 performs better than the HD 600 in hard rock music, and vice versa. On the HD 595 the guitars have more crunch. Percussion on the HD 600 has more authority as well as what I perceive to be more accurate timbre of the drums. Hard rock doesn't dominate my music listening so I can live with the HD 600's supposed deficiency in that area.

I don't know. I prefer the HD 600 but the HD 595 certainly are a good headphone. The sound signatures are so different that you'd really have to make the decision based on what the majority of your music listening time is dedicated to.

Add. I see just now that you said you listen to mostly rock so maybe the HD 595 would be the better choice.

I own the HD 595,and having listened to the HD 600 I just have to agree completely with you.I find the HD 600 to be quite a lot better than the HD 595(and the HD 650,by the way...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back