HD 518 teardown - with a shocking twist!
Jun 1, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #46 of 52
Quote:
Cool, man. Science in action.

Have either of you compared your 518s to a decent closed headphone in a similar price range like the M50? I only have closed headphones and I'm thinking of getting something like a 518 for better soundstage and instrument separation. I'm really happy with my Z02 + M50 setup though; I wouldn't want to lose any of that incredible sub-bass.

I guess.  All of this is so subjective it's tough to be sure about anything. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've only compared it to nice open headphones  The 518 feels stuffier than the 580, definitely.  The soundstage is pretty flat.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #47 of 52
The difference of soundstage between the trios are very significant. 518 being just okay, 558 being quite good and 598 being fantastic

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #48 of 52
This was some nice infomation to hear, as im a owner of the HD518s which i am not a huge fan of because they seem to lack power ( could be due to me not using a amp but budge wins on that decision ) though i am looking to upgrade and now after reading this i think its clear if i upgrade i should go into the HD6xx series and find a decent amp. Thats one thing there not enough infomation of, whats a good amp to bring out the best of Sennhiesers hd600 or 650s? for my price i looked into FiiO's products but i think in the long term im better saving more money and getting something better, would Sennhiesers own amplifiers be a good choice?

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #49 of 52
Hey guys, I don't mean to be a bother but, does anyone know if the hd51/5/98 drivers are the same size as the hd650 driver? also does anyone know if the drivers on the lower end senns (hd41/2/3/49) have the same driver size as the hd51/5/98 drivers?

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #50 of 52
  Hey guys, I don't mean to be a bother but, does anyone know if the hd51/5/98 drivers are the same size as the hd650 driver? also does anyone know if the drivers on the lower end senns (hd41/2/3/49) have the same driver size as the hd51/5/98 drivers?

I think they are both 40mm drivers, but their construction is very different. The HD650 and HD600 have a lollipop construction, while the HD518,558,559 have a more typical disc construction. I do not know anything about the HD418,428,438,448 drivers though. But the most common size for a driver is normally 40 mm across.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #51 of 52
I rally enjoyed reading your article.  I just purchased some Senn HD 518 refurbs and really like them.  They sound very different and more subdue than my Grado SR80s, but they really allow me to get into the music, even for long periods.. Now if I can just replace that long cable, I will be perfect with them... At least for now as we all know how this makes us want more and more for the future....  :)

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #52 of 52
I have a pair of these. The soundstage opens up a bit more when you remove the grill, but the volume of bass decreases, even though the quality of it is still retained. It's the oppisite when you put the grill back on.

The 518's at least to me, already sound very impressive enough when fully broken in, and EQ'd through your player to warrant leaving the grills on, since because of their design the volume of bass may be lacking which it was to me in my case.

I listen to Metal, hard rock, a little blues, and even Extreme Metal. So it's all very complex and thick, hard hitting music sometimes so the bass had to be boosted up a few notches, and it's so pleasing now.

I think if I stepped up to different headphones I'd skip the rest of the 500 series and probably just shoot straight for something way high end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back