HD 500? Anyone heard 'em?
Sep 21, 2007 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Anarchy965

500+ Head-Fier
Was talking to my friend about the pair of Senn HD 25-1 II's I just ordered on buy.com and they mentioned they have a pair of HD 500.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=004914

Apparently, they have an impedance of 150 Ohms so, they probably need an amp to really sound any good. Has anyone heard them?

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was talking to my friend about the pair of Senn HD 25-1 II's I just ordered on buy.com and they mentioned they have a pair of HD 500.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=004914

Apparently, they have an impedance of 150 Ohms so, they probably need an amp to really sound any good. Has anyone heard them?

Yes ... mediocre at best. I know I didnt like them. There are many better sounding headphones available.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 8
Yeah HD500 are not very good.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 8
I don't know about the HD500A, but the HD500 is rubbish. Bloated bass, no highs, muddy and congested mids. It's a lo-fi phone at best, sort of a V600 but even worse. I've had it for while, and I still have it in the closet. Occasionally I'll listen to it just to remind myself how bad it is.

It is OK for gaming though since just about the only thing it does well is stereo imaging. So, you can localize sounds pretty well. But for music... Ugh. It did get better with a headphone amp though, but still nowhere near head-fi level.

It may also look like the HD590, but it's not as comfortable, since the HD590 has much deeper and softer velour pads. This has fairly shallow pleather pads that are OK in terms of comfort, but not as good as an HD600, for instance, and that is worse than the HD590. Yes, the HD590 is eerily comfortable, it's one of the best things about it.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 8
140$?!?!

I would've give them a try for anything under 60$, but 140$?!?!

It seems way more comfy then the original HD500, with sweet velour all over it! And some modifications in frequency response?!?! Better harmonics?!?! Nice! And some more impedance?! Great!

I wonder how it sounds out of a PA2v2
smily_headphones1.gif

I listened to a HD500 once through a generic MP3 player (which I still use) and I must say my memory of it is dirty, dirty as a freaking "mud fest". But I am 100% sure an amp really tightens it up!

Even if the bass overwhelms every other frequency, as long as the quality of the bass is there, and as long as it can get tight and punchy, it could be worth a listen. Hey, I must be the only Head-Fier who uses some HD477 on a regular basis! I probably am the perfect candidate to try these cans!

But be warned: reference phones it isn't!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back