HD-497 Replacement
Jan 15, 2008 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

swartzy.baby

Head-Fier
I was listening to my pair of 497's last night, then put them down for a minute. Putting them back on surprised me in that the right channel was getting no signal. So I looked at the cable, and there was some exposed copper (maybe I pulled on them too hard??). What are my options? There is absolutely no sound out of the right side, and switching the connections proves that it is indeed the specific cable end. I had placed an order for a replacement on Senn's website, but received an email that they are backordered, and no estimate of in-stock dates.

So, as I don't really have anything to lose, I may play around with the cable and see if I can't mock up some kind of fix. In the event that I cannot...what are some suggestions for replacement headphones?
Things I love about these:
The sound
The ease of drive (sounds superb with portable players)
Initial comfort
Not in-ear

The one thing I don't care for:
Extended comfort (my ears begin hurting after a half-hour or so)

I have tried the HD 485, and found the sound muddy. Very muddy. Maybe they tighten up with time. But I was disappointed, and even more so that they were a gift from me to my father. I also have HD-595's, and happily use them on my home theater equipment, but they are not "portable headphones", and cannot be driven to my liking even from the computer output of an x-fi card.

I'm half-tempted to give Grado SR60's a try, but scared off by claims of brightness and lack of comfort.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 7
I would suggest trying out some Grados. I have never heard SR60, but I don't find any brightness problems in my SR225!

How small are your ears? My ears are pretty small, so the bowl pads are pretty much circumaural. Flats and comfies are uncomfortable for me. My dad, on the other hand, hates flats and bowls but he really likes his comfies.

I say try SR60 (which come with comfies), and if you don't like the feel of the pads, try the 414/bowls/flats out.

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 7
Koss KSC-75? I liked the more than my old HD555.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back