HD 485: Quick Impressions Inside
Aug 25, 2005 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dash

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently own Grado Sr-60's, Senn PX100 and now these HD 485's. All I have to say is I must be Senn guy. Fresh outta of the box the 485's are quite impressive in comparision to the Grado's. They feel like tanks. Comfort is first rate and these destroy the Grado's in that regard(unfair because low-end Grado's are sometimes refered to as a little weak in the build dept). Im currently playing them outta of my Creative T2900's headphone jack with Itunes. Granted my ears are not that attuned to detailing cans, but the noob/layperson's first impression is positive. The Grado's are fast and pack a wallop but they lack the depth(?) of the 485's. There seems to be space around the sound(for lack of better descriptions). The 485's seem to immerse my head in the sound. The sounds seems to originate outside the headphones. The Senn seem so smooth and the bass extension seems more controlled than the SR60's. The bass is precise with little reverb. Its crisp and doesnt seem to bleed into other tones. The mids seem a tad recessed but a little EQ on Itunes livens them up just fine(although I prefer to turn off the EQ). Ive heard that a little burn-in will bring out the mids. I believe HeadRoom.com's description to be pretty spot on. The Grado's are immediatley impressive but they wear themselves out quick. I good vocal trance mix sucked me right in like a tractor beam. Sarah McLachlan "Remixed(import version)" is smooth and inviting. $75 shipped from Amazon doesnt seem so bad(relieved that I made fairly good decision). I have heard Hd600's(recabled) from an Xcan(modified) with a Roksan Kandy source and all Kimber Hero interconnects. There is no comparsion but Im still amazed at the sound coming outta of a $75 can and an iffy source. These are just my "uneducated" thoughts on a new can. Will follow-up once they begin to burnin a tad.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 12
I bought a pair of hd485s a week ago and I was very dissapointed with them. They are bassy, muddy, have recessed mids and a muted treble. You must be a basshead!

Aug 26, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 12
i ordered some and should be here on september 3rd. I cant wait! lol I'm a bit of a basshead but i really love trance and have heard from many people that they are good for it. that and they lok like they are tanks, none of my headphones last over a year
frown.gif
and im fairly careful with them. my mdr-xd200 lasted 1 week! right side went dead... i highly advise against those headphones.

Aug 26, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 12
I may be a bass-head(not sure what kind of cans I like) but the 485's have an air that resembles my Magneplanars more than Grado's do. I guess thats why we are all here. I will prob begin to wonder what a more detailed can sounds like and let the upgrade war begins.
basshead.gif

Aug 26, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 12
I've got em. For sub-$100, unamped, they stomp all over the HD25s I had, and easily rival the HD590 and HD595 to my ears in an unamped setup. Very good amounts of detail, good immersion. Only hitch is they are bassy. It's not too sloppy sounding, but is strong and can be distracting over the mids, especially if the recording is bassy. I think their strong point is electronic based music (hip hop (most of it), techno, pop), and DVD movies. Being easily driven out of a laptop means they are perfect computer companion for the movie fanatic in a dorm room or apartment.

Aug 26, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 12
Finally, there are basshead senns! I gotta try these.

Nov 24, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 12
I did on monday and got them yesterday.... haha so much details that I have never heard from a crappy sony 5 dollar cans.. mids are great and bass is thumping.. I dont regret ordering this can at all...

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 12
I think they're as good as my MS1 and much more comfortable. I don't find them bassy at all. MS1 with PA2V2 will bring its bass almost to 485's level. 485s has better bass and treble extension.

Nov 25, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #11 of 12
are they circum-aural?
th pads look smaller than the hd555's and 595's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back