HD 439 vs ATH-M50S?
Aug 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

EvanMS

New Head-Fier
Which ones should I get: Sennheiser HD 439 or Audio-Technica ATH-M50S?
I am mainly going to use these headphones for (in order of importance):
1. PC Gaming (fps as well as other types of games. I've heard that the soundstage on the m50s is bad, which can be an important factor when I'm playing seriously in fps. 439 any better?)
2. YouTube videos
3. Music that is not very heavy on bass (rock/alternative. I've heard that the m50s lack in treble, which is important for rock music. Are the 439's any better in comparison?)

You can also leave other suggestions, but the headphones have to be closed(very important) and around/ over the ear, and they must be less than $200, preferably around $150 though. I do not want headphones that require a sound car or amp pr whatever. I have heard good things about Beyerdynamic, but I have not looked into their headphones at all; are they as good as these others?

I decided not to get a "gaming" branded headset because those are just overpriced and not that good quality for the price.

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 15
I suggest you look into the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. It's a bit nicer than the ones you mentioned and I believe it is in your price range. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 15
I reccomend the Hd 439 as it is user upgradeability ( easy to mod) and have nice detailing, another reccomendation would be the Denon Hp700 (A.K.A. the Pro500mk2), it has the famous drivers from the D7000 and are very durable aswell as the fact that they are generally cheaper than the M50's, making them the better deals

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 15
Last week I bought the AT M50S at Guitar Center for $94.  The SQ is wonderful with deep bass and not too boomy.  The mids are good too but the weakness in these phones is the higher frequencies.  If you can swing for i.e. Fiio E07k amp/dac for $89 you will have a wonderful setup with most of the weakness of the M50S eliminated.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 15
I reccomend the Hd 439 as it is user upgradeability ( easy to mod) and have nice detailing, another reccomendation would be the Denon Hp700 (A.K.A. the Pro500mk2), it has the famous drivers from the D7000 and are very durable aswell as the fact that they are generally cheaper than the M50's, making them the better deals

+1 for HD439!

Billson :)

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Which ones should I get: Sennheiser HD 439 or Audio-Technica ATH-M50S?
I am mainly going to use these headphones for (in order of importance):
1. PC Gaming (fps as well as other types of games. I've heard that the sound stage on the m50s is bad, which can be an important factor when I'm playing seriously in fps. 439 any better?)
2. YouTube videos
3. Music that is not very heavy on bass (rock/alternative. I've heard that the m50s lack in treble, which is important for rock music. Are the 439's any better in comparison?)

You can also leave other suggestions, but the headphones have to be closed(very important) and around/ over the ear, and they must be less than $200, preferably around $150 though. I do not want headphones that require a sound car or amp pr whatever. I have heard good things about Beyerdynamic, but I have not looked into their headphones at all; are they as good as these others?

I decided not to get a "gaming" branded headset because those are just overpriced and not that good quality for the price.

Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80), $49.99 on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370837185581?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any chance you would consider getting an Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card?
$27.99 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 15
bump
Anyone else? I have seen in reviews of the ATH-M50S that the soundstage is not very good, which would be a potential downside for gaming, especially fps games. Do the 439's have a better soundstage? And also, I've heard complaints about the treble on the m50s, which could be a problem for the rock music that I listen to, is this true and how does the 439 compare?

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 15
bump
Anyone else? I have seen in reviews of the ATH-M50S that the soundstage is not very good, which would be a potential downside for gaming, especially fps games. Do the 439's have a better soundstage? And also, I've heard complaints about the treble on the m50s, which could be a problem for the rock music that I listen to, is this true and how does the 439 compare?

The hd 439's have easily expandable soundstages (if you need it, as the instrument seperation is fantastic) by just opening them up and just taking out a piece of plastic from the inside, while the M-50's are quite alot harder to mod to a bigger soundstage this way

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 15
Is there anyway you can test drive these cans?  I would use recommendations as a starting point and then hear for yourself.  I don't agree with the notion that the M50 has a narrow soundstage particularly with an amp/dac.  I wish it had a little brighter highs though.

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 15
Exactly !  
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 15
Hooray that you chose the 439's. Anyways, if your feeling that anything in the sound signature Is missing what you are looking for in sound spectrum

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 15
The HD 439s Just came in the mail today! Love them, sound is great, and they're so comfortable that it doesnt even feel like I'm wearing any headphones!

Glad you do love them! Congrats!

Billson :)

Now, what's your next upgrade? HD600 or Momentum :evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back