HD 380 Pro Slight buyers remorse.
Dec 21, 2013 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

chrisdku

New Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of HD 380 Pros about 2 weeks ago. At first I found the treble to be a bit harsh and I disliked them the first night. I begin to enjoy them over the next week and really thought they shined with artists like Neil Young, Cat Stevens, and even some Daft Punk. However I am now questioning my purchase and if I can get something better for $200 or under. I feel that sometimes they sound too harsh I guess you'd call it. These are my first major headphones so I'm unsure of how to describe it. It doesn't sound warm or inviting at times, sometimes it just feels too clear, too crisp. For example, the vocals on some Rush songs are horrid, and Led Zeppelin doesn't sound warm to me like I thought it used to. I'm a very critical and hard to please person so I may be searching for the right things forever. I listen to all sorts of music, I don't know if this means I need multiple pairs of headphones or what. I have used these mainly on my iPhone 5C, my iPod 5th gen w/rockbox and FLAC files, and I have a cheap stereo amplifier I've used these with. I have some very nice vintage receivers that these may sound better with but they are having some issues with the headphone jack so I'll be cleaning them this weekend with DeOxit. That's a whole other topic. Anyways, does anyone have suggestions for me in this price range and is this a feature of Sennheiser to be so critical? I've looked over tons of reviews here and everyone has such a varying opinion. I plan to visit Guitar Center but they're pretty small here and don't offer a real listening area so I might have to buy without listening which sucks. Thanks in advance for any advice, solutions, suggestions, everything really! =).

EDIT: Also, the vocals echo from time to time. Not a huge concern but it's interesting! Also is it of utmost importance with these to be amped? They're only 60 ohm I believe. I will be cleaning my Sansui G-9000 though to try it out with them this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back