HD 280 or SR60 for noisy DJing environment
Feb 20, 2009 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

djjoy

New Head-Fier
I am looking for headphones for DJing in a noisy club environment, and hoping not to spend... well... I was hoping to spend less than $50, but after disappointment with the Panasonic RP-HTX7-K1 and then the SKull Candy TI, I am up to about $80 for the Sennheiser HD 2280 Pro, though I can still return them.

Here is a little background. To skip the rambling, cut to the "Any way, I am looking for..."

I am not an audiophile. I used to judge MP3s based on if they sounded better then my old copied tapes. That said, I don't want them to sound like shiet either. I also came from a background that involved a lot of chainsawing as a kid, so I expect headphones to be able to keep out as much noise as cheap muffs.

Fast forward, and my wife and I have been radio DJs for going on a decade at our college, and now Alma Mater, radio station (WQFS, if you must know). We are starting to DJ in clubs. I had a pair of IcematAudio gaming headphones that I really like, they feel sturdy, look sleek in white, and sound rather good. The only problem is they are designed to let noise in, so you can hear what is going on around you. I also got the wife a crappy ($12) pair of over ear Labtec headphone, that sound like **** but do keep some of the noise out. I expect anything I buy to sound better than the gaming ones and keep more noise out then the Labtecs.

Anyway, I am looking for...
Headphones that:
1) Keep the sound out, so I can cue the next track with pounding in the background
2) Look kinda sexy
3) Don't cost too more than $80 (much more anyway)

Currently I am also looking at the Grado SR60's and wondering if they actually keep any noise out (but I really like their look) or maybe the JVC HARX900. I don't know much about them, but they look nice too (I know, looks are not a good thing to go by).

The main reason I am not one hundred percent on the HD 260s is the purported breakage issue, and the bulk factor. Any suggestion would be welcome, especially about good inexpensive noise isolating phones.

Cheers,
DJJOY

PS we DJ goth, industrial, synthpop, electronic, world, and steampunk, so although good base is important, so is guitar and violin.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 8
Is the title for this thread a joke?

SR60 for noisy DJing environment. Running outside quick and burning 70 bucks would be a lot more entertaining.

Also what are HD260s?

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 8
SR60's will NOT be suitable for a DJ'ing environment!

What you need is something closed (like the HD280). SR60's are about as open as you can get.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 8
Yep. Scratch the Grados. Any Grados.

FWIR the HD280 has very good isolation. Dunno about the breakage issues, tho.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 8
No way Grados in the club. I couldn't mix in the living room on SR-80. I bought some Equation RP-21 for DJing, and I chose them over HD280 and Sony V6 after some research here and a quick call to fullcompass. They are fine for mixing in and out of the studio but bulky as well. I broadcast as well in CO and we use Sony MDR-7506 (V6 with a gold plug), and you might like those a little more since they fold up and seem quite durable. Equation also makes a fold up pair of closed cans RP-15MC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back