HD 25 comparision
Feb 1, 2009 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Zax19

New Head-Fier
Hi, I hate this price difference, HD 25 SP I cca $100, HD 25 SP II $130, HD 25-1 II $200 at google.
In Czech Republic it's HD 25 SP I $160, HD 25 SP II $140, HD 25-1 II $240.
So it seems that aside from shipping it would be best to buy HD 25 SP II, so could someone tell me, what are the main differences (SQ, durability of jack, comfort)? Single headband seems better for outdoor use and I also like 3m cable (I'm not that high, but I like it more that 1.3m or so, that's too short)...
smile.gif

Thanks
PS: Right now I'm using ATH-SJ5, they aren't bad, but I had to have them repaired (jack->left side went mute) and it's coming back from time to time, I'm thinking of getting my money back, because this repairing could go on and on...

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 17
Consensus is that the SPs are inferior SQ-wise. Also, the double headband thing is fine outdoors. They're adjustable so can be used as single-headband even. 1.3m seems plenty long for me, but maybe I'm short.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 17
I'm only 183cm high, but I wear my MP3 in trousers, so it can be complicated.
What's the difference between HD 25 SP I and HD 25 SP II?
HD 25-1 for $240 is totally out of my budget, so might HD 25 SP II be worth $140? Are they good enough as a replacement for ATH-SJ5? Because I can't find good equivalent in their price range.
Thanks
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zax19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I hate this price difference, HD 25 SP I cca $100, HD 25 SP II $130, HD 25-1 II $200 at google.
In Czech Republic it's HD 25 SP I $160, HD 25 SP II $140, HD 25-1 II $270.
So it seems that aside from shipping it would be best to buy HD 25 SP II, so could someone tell me, what are the main differences (SQ, durability of jack, comfort)? Single headband seems better for outdoor use and I also like 3m cable (I'm not that high, but I like it more that 1.3m or so, that's too short)...
smile.gif

Thanks
PS: Right now I'm using ATH-SJ5, they aren't bad, but I had to have them repaired (jack->left side went mute) and it's coming back from time to time, I'm thinking of getting my money back, because this repairing could go on and on...

why not get the neutrik plug? Neutrik - Audio - 3.5 mm Tiny Plug - NTP3RC-B
i realize this is from the us site but these are GOOD plugs with the cable strain relief. fix it once then forget it!
that said i also like the sp II, except for my short arms and deep pockets (can't see spending so much when better values are around, not to say these aren't good)

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 17
Simply put, I don't know people who would be able to recable it (that's why I didn't mention it) and also I don't want to violate the warranty. I might suggest how to repair it, that "L" jack is probably better (when I'm taking it to Czech support centre of ATH), but what they do with it is up to them, I guess.
BTW right now it looks like this (pardon my crappy laptop camera):
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/4...g000021vf3.jpg
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4...g000019sw4.jpg
Still I'd like to know what's the difference between SP I and SP II version.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 17
There's not gonna be any SQ difference between SP I and II; they're exactly the same, but the cable has been revised and there's probably some extra stuff packaged in the II version. So I don't think there's any reason to go for the older version.

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 17
sp model has inferior sound quality than the non sp. Also the dual headband, which is a nice feature. you can order a new cable from seenheiser which will be longer for about $15, if that is a problem for you. do a search here, go through the hd-25 appreciation thread and im sure you will find better answers there.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 17
as for the difference between the MK I and MK II version... i'm not quite sure.on the HD25-1's the difference is with the ear pads which are velor, instead of the fake leather stuff that makes your ears sweat.

the MK I and MK II had different jacks on the cable, if my memory serves me right, but don't quote me on that.

so apart from the jump in price, there's no significant difference in SQ between the MK I and MK II headphones.

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 17
Thanks, well I was a bit confused, since Czech online shops mixed up their photos. so SP I and II look the same?
It's hard to compaire what you never listened to, but is anybody able to compaire HD25 SP and ATH-SJ5?
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 17
I'm kinda stranded here in Czech Republic, because a lot of models is missing here and prices are higher. I guess I'll postpone purchase of new cans till using SJ5 becomes problem. I'll have to buy new phone soon, also thinking of driving licence (you probably can't imagine being without it at the age of 20, you from the USA
biggrin.gif
), maybe electric guitar...
I might get back to this idea, also thinking of more comfortable closed cans for home use, but I should get rid of this buying fever now, it's financial crisis after all
smile.gif
Thanks for help.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 17
thomann.de
Wouldn't it be cheaper to import from germany or austria?
HD25-1 II comes with a L-jack. You can also either buy The HD25-C II which comes with a coiled cable (3m stretched out, 1.5m relaxed) or buy the standard HD25-1 II and get the coiled cable separately. The coiled cable has a straight plug and the same threads to screw on a 1/4''

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thomann.de
Wouldn't it be cheaper to import from germany or austria?
HD25-1 II comes with a L-jack. You can also either buy The HD25-C II which comes with a coiled cable (3m stretched out, 1.5m relaxed) or buy the standard HD25-1 II and get the coiled cable separately. The coiled cable has a straight plug and the same threads to screw on a 1/4''

HD25-1 II is cheaper, but with shipment (15 EUR) it's same as here for "I" and for "II" it's 8 EUR cheaper.
But at least I've noticed there is big shop near apartment where I live now (my first year at university). I'll go there tomorow and see if I could get my hands on them and on other phones possibly
smile.gif

Still, there is a complication with my current SJ5s, they've been repaired only once, I need 3 repairs to ask for refund...
Still I'm doubtful that my little MP3 player without any amplifier is worth cans for cca 190 EUR and doubt I need that expensive cans...

How are they (SQ) in comparision with big, studio cans for home use? Because I would be afraid to wear them outside; keeping SJ5s outdoors and using other cans indoors might be safer, unless they are best closed cans ever for that price.

OT: 6 months back, when I was buying my laptop, exchange rates were great (15CZK/1$), but now it's 22CZK/1$. It's not that bad for EUR (from 24 to 28), but still...

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zax19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still, there is a complication with my current SJ5s, they've been repaired only once, I need 3 repairs to ask for refund...
Still I'm doubtful that my little MP3 player without any amplifier is worth cans for cca 190 EUR and doubt I need that expensive cans...

How are they (SQ) in comparision with big, studio cans for home use? Because I would be afraid to wear them outside; keeping SJ5s outdoors and using other cans indoors might be safer, unless they are best closed cans ever for that price.

Are you asking about the HD25-1? They're well known for not needing any amping to sound good (how well they scale is debateable). They're great straight out of my iPod. And regarding outdoor use, they're very rugged cans.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #15 of 17
Rugged, you mean like uncomfortable? They seem bigger, wider.
I might be better to leave them and buy different cans, more comfortable, for home use. And still I can keep my SJ5s for commuting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back