HD-25, Cable Upgrade
Apr 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

arsenalfan23

New Head-Fier
Hey guys
I currently own the hd-25 II and I was wondering whether a cable upgrade to the hd600/650 would improve the sound significantly. I use these as my portable headphones and would the hd600/650 cable suit my needs since it is 3m long and it comes with a 6.5mm audio jack

cheers

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
Hey guys
I currently own the hd-25 II and I was wondering whether a cable upgrade to the hd600/650 would improve the sound significantly.

>> No, the sound will not improve significantly in my opinion.

I use these as my portable headphones and would the hd600/650 cable suit my needs since it is 3m long and it comes with a 6.5mm audio jack.

>>You have to short it and take another plug.
I have changed to a Mogami cable. The main reason were the microphonics I had with the standard steel cable. I like the sound but wouldnt say it has changed significantly.

cheers

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 12
  There are some that will tell you that a hp will never perform to it's fullest with a stock cable, but in my experience that is not true.  And if you're hearing is good enough to be able to identify two different cables in a blind test accurately I doubt that the difference would be anything close to significant.

This is not meant to start yet another "cable argument" with anyone.   The above opinions are from my own experience/perceptions.

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 12
thanks for the input guys. I think I would stick with the hd-25 stock cable for the time being, might look into upgrading them in the future though. I don't think I would be able to distinguish the sound between cables since I only owned the hd-25's for around a week. 

May 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 12
I was all for selling my newly aquired HD25-1's as the sound was decidedly ''Portable''. I thought I'd give the cable route a chance and I found an old SR325 cable in my box from a few years back when I modded my Grados. Nothing to lose so chucked on a new 90 degree 3.5mm jack and the Cardas connectors and OMG!!!! What a difference...... I think the SR325 cable is SPOFC (I could be wrong) but if you are considering changing the cable, just do it, the difference is substantial.

Pic.

May 11, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 12
Another one :)

May 11, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
  There are some that will tell you that a hp will never perform to it's fullest with a stock cable, but in my experience that is not true.  And if you're hearing is good enough to be able to identify two different cables in a blind test accurately I doubt that the difference would be anything close to significant.

This is not meant to start yet another "cable argument" with anyone.   The above opinions are from my own experience/perceptions.

I personally like the stock cable quite a bit. They're of good length, tangle resistant, the plug is right angled, and the cable itself seems pretty much indestructable. Not much with it that I'm displeased with design wise.

I've tried other copper cables for it and while I do hear a slight differencea in sound I felt that the trade off isn't worth it overall.

May 11, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 12
Actually I dont really know because I changed them when I ve got the headphones. The reason for that was that I prefer the velour ones because of the "comfort".. Right now the pleather pads are in the box :)

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
would a cable upgrade decrease the sibilance?

In my experience it did ever so slightly. The biggest reduction in sibilance with mine was due to burn in, I found this was the last aspect in the burn in process by a large margin. Despite all this I still find them a hair sibilant at times which doesn't really bother me personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back