HD 25-1 II, how does it sound unamped?
Sep 8, 2009 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

-Daan-

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Before I buy these cans I would like to know how these sound unamped.
I like a warm sound, will I be disappointed by the bass on these cans? (Coming from a senn px100).

Greets Daan

Btw: I'm going to buy the "special edition", does this mean I get extra pads?
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 18
HD25 are a great all round performer; there are others that may do one area or another better, but these babies are pretty much all out on their own when it comes to portable headphones IMO and I much prefer them to the ESW9. rugged as hell too, I almost feel like getting another pair for knock-around heaphones. I miss them for that, they'll take anything pretty much.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 18
They sound great without amplification, you will hear plenty of bass with these headphones. Certainly a upgrade from px100, althoug the money value is not on it's side if you have to pay the retail price.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 18
Hi, thx for the replys.

I bought them, and you guys were right, it has a nice bass straight out of my walkman, better than the px100. Comfort could be a problem, but I can always buy some velour pads when I have some money left
normal_smile .gif

Btw, how long do these take to burn-in, and what sound difference will there be?

Greets Daan

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 18
I just bought one via Newegg.
That deal didn't come with extra pads.

They sound great directly from my Cowon D2.
For the price I was paying, I'm totally happy with it.

The isolation is good, the detail is there, and the instrument sound is clear.

The only complain I have is when using for orchestral music, the instruments sound good separately, but you cannot justify them in the same space. I'm not saying it space instrument wrongly, you can hear the nice separation, but you may feel that the strings are in a large hall but the wood winds are in a small hall (depends on recording, just an example).

Given that I use this mostly for isolation purpose, I'm not really bothered by that problem though. Especially it sounds so good without amplification, which my bigboys cannot do the same.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 18
The famous $99 + shipping deal about two weeks ago.
It is not listed on Newegg currently.
The list price was $149 before the deal.

I currently carry it with me between office and home for all my isolation listening.
Given my listening, I would say even $149 + shipping would still be a good buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Daan- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much did you pay?
normal_smile .gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 18
Special edition (which is in fact called the hd25 II LE) is different from the regular hd25 II because it includes only the pleather pads, but it has a 2m anlged steel cable (you should replace it as soon as possible by a hd600 cable) and a nicer pouch.
Its impedance is of 70 ohm too.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 18
Try to give it a long burn-in time +300hours before you switch to another cable. I don't find the difference so big anymore when I compare the stock cable against a mogami cable I intially bought for my HD25's. The stock cable also makes the HD25 are very portable combination.

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by stokitw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The famous $99 + shipping deal about two weeks ago.
It is not listed on Newegg currently.
The list price was $149 before the deal.

I currently carry it with me between office and home for all my isolation listening.
Given my listening, I would say even $149 + shipping would still be a good buy.

Whoa, now that's a deal! I bought them for € 149! I should better return them now, and buy these cans online...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jupiterknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try to give it a long burn-in time +300hours before you switch to another cable. I don't find the difference so big anymore when I compare the stock cable against a mogami cable I intially bought for my HD25's. The stock cable also makes the HD25 are very portable combination.

Thx for the tip, you saved me some money
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #13 of 18
ive tried the hd 650 cable on the hd25-II, and although i agree there is an improvement, i find the portability, length, termination, and overall ease and convenience of the stock steel cable to outweigh the sonic advantages of the 650 cable. Especially since i mainly use these cans on the move (while walking, in public transporation, commuting, etc.)

If i use these cans mainly for monitoring purposes, or while stationary with a desktop amp, the 650 cable is a no-brainer. But for my purposes, the stock steelcable is just too convenient and portable to dismiss.

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #14 of 18
The HD650 cable is no improvement. It's a step back. The sound gets bright and lifeless. It fits Sennheiser headphones with higher impedances and you have to place the transducers upside down to satisfy the HD25-1's. Nonsense. BTW, as you guys already realized, the HD25-1's don't need amplification when driven from a decent portable device. Actually, they were intended for such.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #15 of 18
You better think of it, the deal is gone and now Newegg no longer carries HD 25-1 II.
All the other places now sell them @ $199.
I would say keep yours since it is a good phone and you never know when the deal is coming out again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Daan- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa, now that's a deal! I bought them for € 149! I should better return them now, and buy these cans online...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back