HD 25-1 II bass too excessive for me. Should I get the DT1350?
Jun 28, 2011 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Monsieur

New Head-Fier
Hi. After hearing the sunrise sw xcape IE, the hd 25 seems muffled and boomy. I want to replace the hd 25 as my go-to portable headphone with something else. I heard that beyer headphones commonly are bright and detailed, something I want. Should I get the similarly priced dt 1350s?
Thanks.

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 7
never I've seen someone describing the HD25 as boomy and mufed.
maybe too low for your budget but the denon HP700 is very bass light but the bass is there and its very detailed. its a clear sound overall. feels "light" compared to the congested M50.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 7
For me, yes.  The HD-25-1 II was just too punchy and fatiguing for me, and "came to life" at a higher volume than I like to listen.  I kept both for a couple of weeks to audition.

The DT1350 is less punchy, smoother, less "V" shaped response curve (I think? sounds that way to me, but haven't looked closely at both curves).  It comes alive at a lower volume, well within my listening level preference.  I like the overall sound, the build quality is outstanding, I'm getting used to the comfort, I love the case they come in.  They are really fiddly concerning wearing position.  It really affects both comfort and sound quality.  Fairly minute changes will really affect both.

For me, well worth the effort and price.  I think if your listening focuses more on rock, and/or you listen a bit louder (I listen pretty quietly - see my comments scattered around regarding amps, sensitive iem's and my listening volume preferences - I can't use a headstage Arrow because it doesn't play softly enough...), the HD25 is a great headphone.  I'd have kept them if I hadn't tried the DT1350.  As a contrast, I sold them to a coworker who loves them, and didn't like my DT1350's much...

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
For me, yes.  The HD-25-1 II was just too punchy and fatiguing for me, and "came to life" at a higher volume than I like to listen.  I kept both for a couple of weeks to audition.

The DT1350 is less punchy, smoother, less "V" shaped response curve (I think? sounds that way to me, but haven't looked closely at both curves).  It comes alive at a lower volume, well within my listening level preference.  I like the overall sound, the build quality is outstanding, I'm getting used to the comfort, I love the case they come in.  They are really fiddly concerning wearing position.  It really affects both comfort and sound quality.  Fairly minute changes will really affect both.

For me, well worth the effort and price.  I think if your listening focuses more on rock, and/or you listen a bit louder (I listen pretty quietly - see my comments scattered around regarding amps, sensitive iem's and my listening volume preferences - I can't use a headstage Arrow because it doesn't play softly enough...), the HD25 is a great headphone.  I'd have kept them if I hadn't tried the DT1350.  As a contrast, I sold them to a coworker who loves them, and didn't like my DT1350's much...

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I think I'll be replacing the HD 25 with the DT1350 later on. For now I'm working on a higher end headphone. Although I'll still be looking for comfort issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back